The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a 2000 F350 with 112k miles, done a few oil changes and currently at 120k. Considering changing to a synthetic for the long term, like to keep the truck going for a couple 100k more. What are you using and what change intervals? I use my truck as a daily driver and occasionally tow a 10k 5th wheel. Been using Dello 15w 40 at 3k+ oil changes. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
8,482 Posts
I would just keep using the Delco but extend the changes out some. I am using Valvoline Premium Blue 15w-40 and according to my oil analysis I can go past 5000 miles on a change. You can get a free sample kit from Blackstone Labs and find out what your oil is doing along with seeing what the wear is like in the engine.

If I was going to go with a full synthetic I would go with Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme 5w-40.

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
I would agree with Bugman. The Dello will do just fine. I tested Rotilla 15w-40 in the past and even at 6,000 mile change interval it was fine. I am sure the Dello would do the same.
DENNY

·
Premium Member
3,805 Posts
I notice a difference in my engine around 5,000 miles which then reminds me to check my last oil change. That is with full synthetic 5w40.

I am guessing I would feel that difference sooner with a conventional or semi-synthetic but have always run 5w40.

Its just my opinion but I think a UOA that reports TBN remaining is just part of the picture of oil health. Just my opinion with no supporting evidence. All I know is my engine sure runs quieter after a new oil change even when Blackstone says I could have run another 2,500 miles.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I just switched to synthetic on my last oil change. I had never tried it before. The engine is so much smoother and quieter. I think I am going to continue with the synthetic.

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
The only oil I have had any issue with is the stock Ford Motorcraft that did start foaming at around 5,000. I have run both synthetic and non-synthetic, several different brands and have not noticed any noise change, but then I an usually rocking out any time I drive so would not notice. Some of the trucks do perform better with a particular brand or weight, once you find it stick with it.
DENNY

1 - 6 of 6 Posts