The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just did the egr bupass and had a new oil cooler installed at the same time I also installed an Edge insight and can now see oil temp as well as a ton of other stuff,,,Im on a trip in colorado and going over some passes and was seeing my oil temp runs about 10-12 degrees over my water temp,is this normal,on one pass i saw 205 water temp and 216 oil temp,, whats too hot? For oil, water,trans temp,also seing about 24 psi boost and my MAP reads 38 psi,so it must be 14.7+ boost??and my AFE 4 inch exchaust that had no drone has drone while towing,,***,, mabe a second muffler??

·
Registered
489 Posts
what coolant is in the system and how many miles? when is the last time you did a flush? get a coolant filter to filter out casting sand. 10-12* is an alright delta. considering that you dont have an egr, that would be an ok delta, 5-10* is more preferable. if you still have gold coolant in there, i would do the flush and switch over to cat ec-1 elc. 2 stroker has a great write up on the flush.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Just did the egr bupass and had a new oil cooler installed at the same time I also installed an Edge insight and can now see oil temp as well as a ton of other stuff,,,Im on a trip in colorado and going over some passes and was seeing my oil temp runs about 10-12 degrees over my water temp,is this normal,on one pass i saw 205 water temp and 216 oil temp,, whats too hot? For oil, water,trans temp,also seing about 24 psi boost and my MAP reads 38 psi,so it must be 14.7+ boost??and my AFE 4 inch exchaust that had no drone has drone while towing,,***,, mabe a second muffler??
If you are seeing 10-12* in the passes and mountains you maybe fine the norm is doing 60 on flat ground after 3-4min take your reading the max is 15* more than that your new oil cooler is getting plugged with casting sand and silicates. Max boost on a stock 6.0 is 28lbs try and not to go over 25lbs. What coolant are you running and did you do a flush before the repairs, the Ford Gold is junk and a killer of the 6.0
My deltas run solo ECT 194-196* EOT 200* pulling a 14k 5er in 90+ up a 6% grade over 6 miles long ECT 218* EOT 228* and the fan sounds like a jet plane.
2 stroker:ford:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All this work was done 1 month ago with new elc at the same time and on the interstate at 75 mph it runs about 8-10F over the water temp, I didnt have the insight before so it may always have been that way???This is on an 04 excursion with 150 on the odo

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
All this work was done 1 month ago with new elc at the same time and on the interstate at 75 mph it runs about 8-10F over the water temp, I didnt have the insight before so it may always have been that way???This is on an 04 excursion with 150 on the odo
I think you are OK but i don't go 75 so when you get it down to 60 on the flats post, i think mine will do 75 but i like the MPG better plus here in Oregon the speed limit is 55 sometime 60, don't like tickets:lol:
2 stroker:ford:

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
If you've deleted your EGR, the 15* difference doesn't matter anymore. That is only a leading indicator that you are about to rupture an EGR cooler.

You should be watching max oil temps. IIRC, the PCM will defuel the truck at about 253*F (give or take).

All that said, nothing looks out of place with your temps.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you've deleted your EGR, the 15* difference doesn't matter anymore. That is only a leading indicator that you are about to rupture an EGR cooler.

You should be watching max oil temps. IIRC, the PCM will defuel the truck at about 253*F (give or take).

I thought a 2006-2007 would go into Limp mode with a 15* delta regardless if there is a EGR or not?? So it matters for some...

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
The basis of the question was the truck had an EGR delete. My response is directed at that and nothing else.

If certain conditions are met, a CEL will be set. And there's a lot more that goes into it than just a 15* deltaT. To the best of my knowledge, that particular DTC will not cause the PCM to defuel the engine.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I have a 2006 that hit 15* yesterday according to the Scangauge and it did not set a CEL. Must be 16* or higher. I am scheduling an oil cooler and EGR cooler change under warranty next week.

·
Premium Member
4,135 Posts

Finally some common sense around here.:yesnod::yesnod:

BTW the Ford 15* delta is based on WOT or under heavy load NOT at 60 MPH flat ground.:read::read::read:

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
I have a 2006 that hit 15* yesterday according to the Scangauge and it did not set a CEL. Must be 16* or higher. I am scheduling an oil cooler and EGR cooler change under warranty next week.
I'll say it again, CERTAIN CONDITIONS have to be met for a DTC to set. It's NOT just the 15* deltaT. An oil cooler efficiency is determined by the PCM. The wrench light will ONLY be set if that efficiency falls below a discrete value based on MPH, RPM, LOAD, and some other things I can't remember.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well Im still on my trip and towing a 8K trailer in wyoming over some passes on I 80 this week it ran 75 mph and was running 210 water and 215 oil and 15-20 psi boost trans temp 175,,,, soooo yesterday I had occasion to drive to laramie with OUT the trailer and ran 80 mph over the pass and the water temp stayed at 165 and oil at 169 and boost at 4psi and trans temp at 165 ,so a 4-10 delta must be normal?? and the truck got 19 .5 MPG at 2400 RPM,,, dont know why but my X alway seems to get better MPG at the higher rpm using the work horse chip on my IPC,,on another note the AFE 4 inch exhaust which has a drone while towing is gone while not towing,, strange???? I have owned this truck since new and have never had guages till now,,,, and now know how much I have abused my engine,, I also noticed the EGT will go over 1300 degrees if it down shifts under load,, never knew that till now,,wont happen any more!!!!! Information and Knowledge is good!

·
Registered
762 Posts
Notice what dieselmac said, the WRENCH will illuminate not the CEL.

On the last job, had an '06 6.0 under heavy load WOT wrench came on burped coolant, when load was reduced wrench went out no code set. Repeated several timers, no code set. Sent it back to the rental company as it did this first time out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The basis of the question was the truck had an EGR delete. My response is directed at that and nothing else.

If certain conditions are met, a CEL will be set. And there's a lot more that goes into it than just a 15* deltaT. To the best of my knowledge, that particular DTC will not cause the PCM to defuel the engine.
Thanks man...I was not questioning you I was just confused. New 6.0 owner and just trying to figure everything out and this is good info!

·
Registered
84 Posts
just a quick question i had a otc scanner on my truck for a week cause a drivability problem . I am getting a oil temp cold -7000 and hot -6800 . could this be a problem?

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
That doesn't make sense. Are you certain the OTC scanner is compatible with the Ford CAN protocol?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Finally some common sense around here.:yesnod::yesnod:

BTW the Ford 15* delta is based on WOT or under heavy load NOT at 60 MPH flat ground.:read::read::read:
yeah not sure if this is accurate. Delta t test on a 6.0 is 65 mph steady load not wide open throttle. There has been a lot of debate over this test

1 - 20 of 23 Posts