The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went through a few mountain passes yesterday in southern California with the ambient air temperature at 110F through 115F and maintained speeds of 70mph or slightly higher. My engine oil temperature peaked at 230F for about 15 minutes, the transmission never went above 203F.

The oil temperature recovered within 3 miles on the back side of the mountain (down to 205F), but I was wondering what you guys see in similar conditions. I was not towing, but had four adults and a bed full of luggage and gear.

I am running Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5W-40. Thanks for your thoughts.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Reactions: HeavyAssault

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I've never experienced those temps so can't comment in that regard. I did just tow last weekend in mid 80s pulling about 13k and I saw 224 on flat ground going 65.

With that type of heat, I can believe those temps would be normal.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I towed a 10K fiver up out of a gorge in western Washington and I saw my oil temp hit 245. I slowed some at that point and it didn't get any higher.

·
Registered
90 Posts
i got a 2016 F-350 and tow all day every day the highest i seen was 242 and will run a consistent 230 with load but i put around storage sheds so i have a lot of wind Resistance

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i got a 2016 F-350 and tow all day every day the highest i seen was 242 and will run a consistent 230 with load but i put around storage sheds so i have a lot of wind Resistance
Thanks for the replies. Do you have any problems with the oil running a consistent 230F?

·
Registered
90 Posts
no i only have 28k miles on her so far but all seems to be fine when i hit 240 i will back down and make sure she doesn't get any hotter, and i use a good synthetic oil and change when Ford's says, these newer trucks run hotter just no way around it

·
Registered
467 Posts
Ive seen 240+ also. One would think that with second cooling circuit Ford could have done a better job of cooling the oil.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. I just wanted to be sure it was "normal". Like most of you I will not be using a conventional oil as it takes a finger flick to get into severe duty on these 6.7L engines. I did use Kendall Super-DXa SynBlend with good results, but thus far Delo 5W-40 has been the best on the synthetic side. Too soon to tell on this run of M1 Delvac ESP.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I see those temps when towing and climbing the grapevine (I-5). They go back to normal pretty fast. Trans stays around 203-210 during the 6% sections.

Normal I'd say.

·
Premium Member
4,203 Posts
I'd say the M1 oil is your best insurance. Since it cooled down on the other side no reason to worry at all.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'd say the M1 oil is your best insurance. Since it cooled down on the other side no reason to worry at all.
I agree, synthetic is the way to go.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Several Years ago I had this similar discussion on this forum. I run Rotella 5/40 full synthetic. I climb one of the steepest climbs in the nation to get to my 7000 foot mountain home in Southern Cal. Pulling my 16k 5ver on a 100 degree day at the desert floor I can see 245 most of the climb for about 20 miles. On a brutal summer trip to Texas I saw 250 for a few miles one time. The quote below is one of my posts on that previous discussion.

"OK heres the scoop. I got online to search for the Rotella 5/40 synthetic max operating temp limit. If it was there on the Rotella 5/40 data chart, I could not tell or read the technical charts right.

So I called the Shell technical information line listed on the data page and got directed to a very helpful oil technical guy in Canada. I explained our digital engine oil temp readout concerns. He had access to that information and told me that Rotella 5/40 synthetic's TOP LIMIT was 302 F."

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Several Years ago I had this similar discussion on this forum. I run Rotella 5/40 full synthetic. I climb one of the steepest climbs in the nation to get to my 7000 foot mountain home in Southern Cal. Pulling my 16k 5ver on a 100 degree day at the desert floor I can see 245 most of the climb for about 20 miles. On a brutal summer trip to Texas I saw 250 for a few miles one time. The quote below is one of my posts on that previous discussion.

"OK heres the scoop. I got online to search for the Rotella 5/40 synthetic max operating temp limit. If it was there on the Rotella 5/40 data chart, I could not tell or read the technical charts right.

So I called the Shell technical information line listed on the data page and got directed to a very helpful oil technical guy in Canada. I explained our digital engine oil temp readout concerns. He had access to that information and told me that Rotella 5/40 synthetic's TOP LIMIT was 302 F."

Hope this helps.
Yes, thanks!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Hope this helps.
It does and fully confirms (at least for me) that synthetics are the way to go. I would not want to run a conventional oil at 240F or above.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Amen to that.
Crossed part of the Mojave today and saw 239F for dozens of miles. It does concern me what the temperatures would have been had I been towing. I have 10 gallons of Delo 400 15W-40 that I will be returning and exchanging for Delo 400 5W-40.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Crossed part of the Mojave today and saw 239F for dozens of miles. It does concern me what the temperatures would have been had I been towing. I have 10 gallons of Delo 400 15W-40 that I will be returning and exchanging for Delo 400 5W-40.

Smart move me thinks.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Smart move me thinks.
I think I will UOA this run to see if the temps make any difference in the oil.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
I don't see temps like that until I tow up a 7% grade and it is 110F outside.
My toyhauler is 17,000lbs and I run 210-220 towing on flat ground when the temp is 75F outside.
I think those temps are high for not towing.

I also run Rotella 5W40. Have been since I had 500 miles on the truck.
Change it every 4500 miles.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I don't see temps like that until I tow up a 7% grade and it is 110F outside.
My toyhauler is 17,000lbs and I run 210-220 towing on flat ground when the temp is 75F outside.
I think those temps are high for not towing.

I also run Rotella 5W40. Have been since I had 500 miles on the truck.
Change it every 4500 miles.
I attribute my oil temps to the ambient air, mountain passes, and maintaining 70+ up the mountain passes. I am sure if I would have backed down on the speed, the oil temperature would have dropped. I am running Delvac 1 ESP 5W-40 at present, but have used T6 in the past. I have more hot areas to go through so I will play with the speed to see the impact on the oil temps.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts