The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a problem with an irregular idle on my 99 7.3. Sometimes the engine starts choking at low speeds. Other times when I'm stopped at a traffic light in the engine rpms increase on its own. If I let off the brake I could easily bump the car in front of me. Sometimes it I throw it in neutral the rpms will drop back to normal. I drained the fuel separator not sure if that helped. I can say the separator and fuel filter haven't been changed in about two years but I'm thinking that would be the cause. Any thoughts? Thank you

·
Premium Member
15,115 Posts
I think you need to start by examining your ICP sensor. Check for oil protruding through to the electrical side. Also, you could run it unplugged to see if your idle smoothes out. While you are up there, check the tin nut on the back of your IPR. A loose nut can cause all kinds of running issues. (That sounded weirder than intended...)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I'll check and get back to you. I do have a pretty good oil leak I suspect coming from the oil cooler. It started the end of this past winter. Once the weather got warmer it stopped leaking. Now that the cooler temps are back its starting again. I have it going in for the leak next week.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts