The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I saw an 80's vw rabbit 1.5l diesel and the ad poster says the engine stopped running because it was filled with biodiesel. Is this possible? Is there a way to clean out the engine? I messaged the guy trying to get the full story.

Thanks,
Joe

·
Premium Member
14,739 Posts
What is possible, actually fairly common, is biodiesel is such a good detergent that it picks up all the debris in the tank and clogs all the fuel filters. Conceivably, that could damage the injector pump, but more likely just won’t start due to no fuel pressure. No way it could damage the engine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
25,486 Posts
No way it could damage the engine.
Unless it literally filled the engine and it hydro-locked, but that wouldn't necessarily be the fault of biodiesel.

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
Alot of those old ViWi Rabbit owners used to blend or manufacture their own BioD. I had a few of those 1.5 & 1.6 way back when.

That french fry oil could get rancid over time and corrosive. BioD is also more prone to microbes that result in sludge.

I would ask the Seller about the origin (feedstock in tech lingo) of the BioD and the timeframe it has been in there.

Damaged parts can always be replaced but unless the rest of the car is in perfect condition, its value is probably not much more than a “get it off my property”. Alot of current owners have been collecting junkers for parts and have 3-4 in their yard. This would be your competition.

I prefer the 4-door Golf over the Caddy pickup but I have owned both—always stickshift. They are pretty slow but you can probably still pass the occasional bicyclist if you time it right on the downhills. ?

MPG is around 44-51.

·
Premium Member
14,739 Posts
They are pretty slow but you can probably still pass the occasional bicyclist if you time it right on the downhills.

Best thing I’ve read this year!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
25,486 Posts
What RT said. :grin2:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Based on these responses it sounds like I'd be better off not fixing the engine and instead cutting out the floorboards and start peddling Fred Flintstone style... Thanks for the responses guys!

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
?
BTW, floorboards were always a high rust area.

The last time I ordered anything from these guys was before the internet but they were always great to do business with. I always looked forward to getting their catalogs in the mail.

https://www.partsplaceinc.com

1 - 8 of 8 Posts