The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 F250 with the 7.3 in it, and it starts fine, runs good and will go into gear and move, but there is no throttle response. its like the pedal is not hooked up.... what should i look for to remedy the problem? thank you

·
Premium Member
14,864 Posts
Are your gauges working. The fuse that does the OD light, gauges and throttle pedal is the same - if the wire in the shifter shorts and takes out this fuse, you will have no throttle response - View attachment TransmissionShifterLeverchaferepairV-2.pdf

Apart from that, the actual throttle pedal could be bad. This is a fly by wire system, so no signal - no throttle.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Probably a bad throttle position sensor. ~$30 online.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now that i am at the pickup, it is actually a 2000 year model.... the throttle actuator/pedal is a sealed unit. sometimes it will throttle up momentarily, but then nothing.... is tbere anyway to trouble shoot whether its the pedal or the ecm?

·
Premium Member
14,864 Posts
Sure - put a scanner on it and watch the TPS signal. Do you have functional gauges? Do you have an OD light? If it is intermittent is is most likely the TPS (pedal assembly) - the PCM going out would be much more unusual.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sure - put a scanner on it and watch the TPS signal. Do you have functional gauges? Do you have an OD light? If it is intermittent is is most likely the TPS (pedal assembly) - the PCM going out would be much more unusual.
i have all the gauges and lights..... i purchased a new pedal assy and plugged it in and it made no difference. so i have a new one for sale cheap....
the pedal assy is the newer "one plug" model, rather than the "two plug" model... both styles were used in '01....

at times, but rarely, just after starting it will have throttle control but it goes away immediatly.... I traced all the wires on the diagram and they all go to the pcm, but I have no indication of what the wires do or their voltage values, so I cant trouble shoot further without more information on the 5 wires coming from the throttle controller to the pcm.....

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had a no throttle response on mine and put 4 or 5 different assemblies(same part no.) in and continued to have intermittent issues for months until I tried a different part # that NAPA had. No problems since. Both part# were ford reboxes and the assembly that worked looked completely different but it fit. I'll see if I can get a part#.
Isn't there a recall out on the pedal now?
Tim

·
Registered
331 Posts
My 2003 7.3l once lost all throttle response on me. Ran fine just nothing from the go pedal. I found a blown fuse and replaced it. My Excursion fired up and I had throttle. I dropped into drive and lost throttle. I did this about 3 times. Had it towed to the stealership and it was the Overdrive override button wiring. It had shorted out. When I would drop it in hear it would blow the fuse. It was a simple fix. But expensive diagnosis. Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Are your gauges working. The fuse that does the OD light, gauges and throttle pedal is the same - if the wire in the shifter shorts and takes out this fuse, you will have no throttle response - View attachment 22217

Apart from that, the actual throttle pedal could be bad. This is a fly by wire system, so no signal - no throttle.
We are having this exact issue with our 2000 F250 diesel. The Pdf that you provided, could that be applied to our truck or do you have a different pdf you could provide?

·
Premium Member
14,864 Posts
It applies to your truck. If you read through, it lists fuse numbers for the 99-01 models as well as the 02-03 model. The circuit is the same. For a temporary fix, pull the steering cover, unplug the OD wire and replace the fuse. Then, you can drive the truck while you are waiting for the new shifter to arrive.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
14,864 Posts
I'm very happy to have been of service. Thanks again to Ken for the great write-up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 99 that will give the same symptoms, but will eventually everything will start working. Could this chafed wire short out, but not blow the fuse?. I also have an intermittent issue when I turn on my headlights, the dash lights are slow to turn on. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1 Posts
listen to RT

Had same symptoms. Checked OD harness & bingo. Wire was exposed. Fixed it. Good to go. Mine never blew a fuse. It would just cut out on me inconsistently. All good now. Big thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2001 did this, blew the #19 fuse, repeatedly. Worn wire from the O/D switch shorted to ground. Took it apart, taped the wire, re-routed it a bit, a little slack in the clip, and back up running perfectly. Thanks in no small part to this thread and the internet search that found it. Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!

·
Registered
2 Posts
right on the head.. OD shifter button is the cause of problem if after replacing the pedal there is still no response. check fuse 19 under dash first tho. the wires going to OD shifter button may be grounding out blowing fuse. thank you for the information.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Are your gauges working. The fuse that does the OD light, gauges and throttle pedal is the same - if the wire in the shifter shorts and takes out this fuse, you will have no throttle response - View attachment 22217

thank you RT I recently changed my shifter to an after market one and this exact issue happened. I went through a log process of troubleshooting even bought a TPS and of course that didn't didn't work LOL. very weird things happened my doors kept unlocking and locking by themselves, constant no seatbelt "ding" noise and no gauges until i pulled the two relays for the doors and cut the "ding noise" wire. And figured it was good for now. and my throttle kept working for about a month until the fuse blew. I wish I read this a bit longer ago haha thanks for your help anyways!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the same problem on my 2000 f350 but mine has manual transmission. All other lights and gages still work. Replaced several fuses today. Help?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts