The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping my Dx is correct on this, and I will find out later into the week as I begin tear down. Truck is '05 F250 4x4 with approx. 232xxx miles, '03 Turbo Swap, and Sinister EGR delete. Truck is DD / used for heavy towing.

Was driving to SC from VA this weekend when my truck sounded like the tranny was getting hot, pulled over and checked the levels, Coolant looked fine, Trans fluid looked fine. Later on down the road I noticed ECTs rising steadily. I pulled over thinking I lost all my coolant somehow and went to grab some water to throw into it.

As I popped the hood I noticed there was steam coming from the upper radiator hose. ECTs when I pulled over were extremely high at 250-260 degrees F. Went into the store and purchased some gallons of water and went out to slowly loosen the degas cap to relieve some pressure, a few seconds into it I began having a nice milkshake working its way out.

Sounds like a cracked EOC right? I have a feeling with those temps the heads may of finally become warped and it'll be time for studs.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Maybe, it depends on what the contaminant in the coolant is. If its oil, then its almost certainly a failed OC. If its fuel then its a cracked head or injector cup.

If the engine cooled down slowly and a HG wasn't blown yet its possible it survived. If it was cold shocked then the odds that there'll be another failure escalate.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just going through my old threads and doing updates incase anyone else runs into these problems.

This ended up being a Cracked EOC, but the HG remained intact. Process to replace it involved a lot of man hours pulling and cleaning parts, replacing the EOC, and then a very long process of flushing with Simple Green, and then followed by a special product my friends shop has, Shop Talk (Oil emulsifier).

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Thanks for reporting back on this, we always wonder how it turns out plus helps others diagnose. Glad your heads were OK!

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Did you feel the breeze as that bullet whizzed by you?

Reactions: Phil G.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sure did. Currently at 240.5k mi kicking strong except for the tranny.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
I'd throw a Ford reman trans in it. I paid $3,500 for mine installed with a 100k warranty. 120k later and still going strong, last 70k at literally double the factory power rating (660HP and north of 900lbs/ft.).

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd throw a Ford reman trans in it. I paid $3,500 for mine installed with a 100k warranty. 120k later and still going strong, last 70k at literally double the factory power rating (660HP and north of 900lbs/ft.).

Exploring all options right now, probably just going to get a used tranny for a couple hundred. Looking to sell the truck so trying not to throw a lot of money into it. Was originally asking 12k, but when the trans started acting up I dropped down to 9k.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts