The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I towed my 11500# 5th wheel up in the Sierra last week and everything went well using the PHP 40hp tow setting instead of the 65hp tow setting. Power was good egt manageable with throttle inputs. My concern is with the eot, it hit 235 to 237 on a long steep climb where boost was 18 to 20, egt 1220 to 1280, ect 217. I was in 4th maintaining 55 mph. Once I crossed over the top of the hill eot did drop back to the normal for this truck 217 to 221. I read my eot and ect from a scangauge and also two direct reading gauges for ect and eot. My truck is a 6 speed so I can read ect. I have read that eot above 240 may be reason for concern am I right?
Bill

·
Premium Member
15,107 Posts
Sustained EOT over 240° F. would not be desirable. Towing up the side of a mountain in the middle of summer with a combined weight of 20,000 lbs and the aerodynamics of a brick - that's pretty impressive. If you were hitting 240° unloaded going down a flat road in winter - then we'd be concerned.

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks RT, I have always been overly concerned about the oil temps on this engine it just seems to run a little warmer than most. I see 221 to 228 everyday unloaded. I had been running a bug cover insert in the front of the grill and I just removed it hoping I would see a drop in eot. It didn't make a difference at all. In case anyone is interested, don't bother to add a direct reading eot and ect gauge because once good and warmed up there is only 2 to 4 degrees difference from the scangauge. A lot of times they all read the same.
Bill

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
In case anyone is interested, don't bother to add a direct reading eot and ect gauge because once good and warmed up there is only 2 to 4 degrees difference from the scangauge. A lot of times they all read the same.
Bill
I find the same with TFT and Torque Pro. I still like my analog gauges though for those times when I don't want to hook up the tablet, and having an automatic I need my hard wired ECT gauge.

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
Thanks RT, I have always been overly concerned about the oil temps on this engine it just seems to run a little warmer than most. I see 221 to 228 everyday unloaded. I had been running a bug cover insert in the front of the grill and I just removed it hoping I would see a drop in eot. It didn't make a difference at all. In case anyone is interested, don't bother to add a direct reading eot and ect gauge because once good and warmed up there is only 2 to 4 degrees difference from the scangauge. A lot of times they all read the same.
Bill
That is a bit high for unloaded driving. I normally see 195-205* unloaded during the summer out here in CA, depending on ambient temps.

What thermostat are you running? Do you hear your fan kicking on when you hit that temp?

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just got back from our campsite in the Sierra. I was not towing just running the PHP 65hp Daily Driver. I have the stock 195 thermostat. Outside temp were between 88 and 95 degrees. My EOT reached 221 max most of the time it stayed around 215 to 217. I do love the capability of being able to select what program I want on the fly with this chip. Coming home today got stuck behind a Motorhome going 45mph up a long grade with about 15 cars behind him. I was 5th behind him. A guy in Camaro was behind me and he was really wanting to get around. I punched in 80hp daily driver and we both jump out to pass at same time. He didn't like me doing that and flashed his lights at me, so I just floored it and reached 85mph real quick :grin2: Somewhere way back in a cloud of diesel was a white camaro trying to keep up. I could have gone faster but thats about as fast as I like to push this truck. The camaro guy followed me for the next 20 miles and finally got around and gave me a big smile and a wave when he went buy. Love it. :smile2:
Bill

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
Just got back from our campsite in the Sierra. I was not towing just running the PHP 65hp Daily Driver. I have the stock 195 thermostat. Outside temp were between 88 and 95 degrees. My EOT reached 221 max most of the time it stayed around 215 to 217. I do love the capability of being able to select what program I want on the fly with this chip. Coming home today got stuck behind a Motorhome going 45mph up a long grade with about 15 cars behind him. I was 5th behind him. A guy in Camaro was behind me and he was really wanting to get around. I punched in 80hp daily driver and we both jump out to pass at same time. He didn't like me doing that and flashed his lights at me, so I just floored it and reached 85mph real quick :grin2: Somewhere way back in a cloud of diesel was a white camaro trying to keep up. I could have gone faster but thats about as fast as I like to push this truck. The camaro guy followed me for the next 20 miles and finally got around and gave me a big smile and a wave when he went buy. Love it. :smile2:
Bill
When he waved did he use all of his fingers or just one?:surprise:

·
Registered
467 Posts
My scan gauge EOT used to be 200-225. Now the high EOT is around 198. The change was after I had cleaned the fins on all the radiators / coolers in the truck (while they were out for oil pan replacement). Also started using Rotella T6 instead of 15-40. Also installed CNC FAb oil lines with crossover. Engine runs quieter and smoother.

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
My scan gauge EOT used to be 200-225. Now the high EOT is around 198. The change was after I had cleaned the fins on all the radiators / coolers in the truck.
I have always wondered about that, lots of folks report they were surprised at the amount of debris and bugs they found. With my truck being a native to the desert where we have damn few bugs I never thought there could be much trapped in there and by shining a flashlight down between the coolers I don't see anything either. I wonder if it would be worthwhile to pull it all apart.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts