The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've replaced the thermostat, the radiator, I checked the fan clutch. Someone said it wouldn't be the water pump because it would get high at idle as well. I've had a thread on this subject before but wanted to make it shorter. I thought I fixed the problem after the radiator change. But on these last trips with the camper made my trucks eot go back up to 225. I know if I pushed her it would have hit 230 like last time then the dummy gauge would shoot up on the dash... Well I pulled over and set my edge chip on towing instead of on performance thinking maybe it would help. But that only had me flooring it up hills at 60mph while she was still trying to get hot. So I've decided to leave my truck on high at all times because she is embarrassing otherwise. One of the questions I've had was if the turbo helped cool the motor? There's a big radiator for the turbo.. Seems like it should cool. 1999 f350 4by4

·
Premium Member
15,102 Posts
The intercooler cools the compressed intake air to allow it to become even denser effectively increasing boost. Theoretically, the inrush of cooler air would help cool the motor, except that the surface area the cool air is exposed to and the duration that the air is cool (milliseconds) before combustion occurs just isn't significant.

Have you checked the temperature independently of the EOT sensor? Have you tried a different sensor? Sure would hate to see you throw $$$ at fixing a non-existent problem. Did you change the lower radiator hose at any point? I haven't seen it on this engine, but in the "old days" some of the overheating issues were caused by a collapsing lower hose restricting the coolant circuit. Thermostat is the long stem, right? How's your oil pressure?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't no all the info on the thermostat. Oil pressure shows great on the dummy gauge. The lower hoses look fine. I replaced a top hose that was rubbing the drive belt. Just replaced a heater core that was leaking. All of those hoses look fine. My boost pressure showing on my edge is just at 8. I've not owned a turbo diesel before. My last was a 86 f350 6.9. I'm going to get a pillar gauge for boost and my water temp. Recommended brands? Reasonable priced.

·
Premium Member
15,102 Posts
ISSPRO or Autometer. One of our online supporters has a great package deal on the pillar gauges. The standard pillar is 3 pods, but you can upgrade to 4 if you want. Here's a link. DIESELMANOR GAUGE KITS for 1999-2003 Ford 7.3L Powerstroke

I watch coolant temp on a gauge and EOT on my ScanGauge. I have a separate gauge for oil pressure as well since the dummy gauge shows normal for all pressures of 7 psi and above. I'd have chest pains if my actual oil pressure was only 7 psi...

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
My EOT reached 227 when climbing a steep grade on a recent trip. Not sure it is an issue though, with the AC on pulling a grade at 80 MPH in 100 degree temps I'm thinking it is normal. Cools right back down on the other side.

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
Wait, you said EOT (engine oil temp)but then you said "dummy gauge on the dash". Did you mean to say ECT? (engine coolant temp).

If your ECT is 225 I would say you do have a problem then. Even when my EOT was 227 my ECT was under 210.

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
You did put the thermostat in with the copper pellet facing into the engine right?

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
I remember your last thread and I think I understand. For one I would take RTs advice on that dash gauge sensor, or get yourself a pillar gauge ASAP. Not knowing my ECT would be very stressful to me. We both live in hot climates so you know what I mean.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Exactly, I'm going to order a ect soon as the next check comes in. But yes it's the ect dummy gauge that shoots up when the eot digital gauge in the edge evolution reaches 230. And when I say it shoots up I mean it doesn't just move a little that thing makes you uneasy. And yes I'm pretty much certain the thermostat is in right. I'll let yall know something after I get my gauge in. Hoping for the best. I was just curious about the 7.3. I mean if I'm riding close to stock. The truck has no power. It makes me think something is wrong. I don't like the idea of flooring it up hills to keep the traffic from piling up. I mean it's a 33ft rv but the title only says 5700 pounds. that trailer has to weight more then that. My old gooseneck flatbed was 6300 and it pulled like a dream.

·
Registered
998 Posts
My EOT reached 227 when climbing a steep grade on a recent trip. Not sure it is an issue though, with the AC on pulling a grade at 80 MPH in 100 degree temps I'm thinking it is normal. Cools right back down on the other side.
Under those conditions those temps are quite normal.

·
Premium Member
15,102 Posts
Do you have an EGT gauge? Your pic shows a dually. You shouldn't even feel 5200 pounds behind that truck. I tow 10K+ with a SRW and occasionally have to look to make sure the trailer is still back there.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Rt the edge had a setting for egt display. I'm showing 0 on that and a 0 on boost at idle. What am I suppose to be looking for?

And for more on eot temps and where my rpms were at here is a couple pictures. Like I said the gauge on dash is going to shoot up soon as eot gets to 230... Will buy more accurate gauges.

Attachments

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I guess I should have forced the truck to 230 and taken a picture of the gauges then. But I don't think it wouldn't justified much if this truck is a sick puppy. Will buy better gauges.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Don't read this post.............................I wanted to love this truck. She gets lots of good things said about her when I go to places. Everytime I hear a compliment I just think ehhhh. I mean part after part after part. I had a beautiful r6 bike and 5gs in this truck. Plus about 3 grand in parts 1600 in the front end and now the gem or something is out so the 4by4 only worked long enough to tease me. I've got this poping like a bad balljoint in the front end. Atleast I hope it's a balljoint. It's getting ridiculous lol. All I can do is laugh. At the end of the day it is what it is.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Are all of these gauges universal? I'm seeing auto meter engine water temp gauge for 70 on eBay. I think I'll have to get one gauge at a time..... Do i even need a egt or boost gauge when I already have that on my edge programmer. Something tells me I might need a new egt probe and a rebuilt turbo, but y'all tell me if I'm wrong. I checked my turbos hoses for leaks and they all look fine.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I read where it said egt was more accurate then a water temperature gauge. That might be why I can't find my water gauge in a nice 3 gauge pillar set deal.

·
Premium Member
15,102 Posts
If you have EGTs on your Edge - that's fine. Boost as well, although that is a calculated value since you have to subtract atmospheric from manifold to get boost. That works fine if you are at one elevation all the time. Don't know why anyone would compare EGT to water temperature. Measuring two different aspects of the engine. Call David at DieselManor and he can hook you up with any custom arrangement you want.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts