The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what the normal Engine Oil Temperatures are? Just curious...I was reading the EOT temps off the OBDll connector and the highest reading I saw was 187 degrees. Then it seemed to cool down a little to 170 degrees. I am running a stock thermostat.

Griz

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Depends on the temps outside and how hard you're working the engine. I see EOT over 200 deg in summer time in Texas.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Depends on the temps outside and how hard you're working the engine. I see EOT over 200 deg in summer time in Texas.
Thanks Chris...I wasn't working the truck hard nor was the outside temperature very warm (mid 60's). I did notice the dash temperature gage is just about worthless. It pretty much stayed the same when the EOT temperature was 125F to 185F. I guess that is nothing new.

Griz

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This weekend I was towing my 5K trailer over a mountain pass and saw EOT running as high as 225 F. Is this normal or is my thermostat stuck?

Griz

·
Premium Member
14,691 Posts
I've never seen my EOT that high - the oil coolers on these trucks are pretty efficient and our cooling systems are pretty oversized. While those temps aren't in a danger zone, I'd be looking at two things. Is your coolant temp getting that hot as well (my EOT and ECT are never more than a few points from each other) and, is your cooling system functioning adequately. I'd be cleaning every component in the cooling stack (radiator, condenser, transmission cooler, intercooler) and checking my fan clutch.

·
Registered
150 Posts
This weekend I was towing my 5K trailer over a mountain pass and saw EOT running as high as 225 F. Is this normal or is my thermostat stuck?

Griz
I see similar... I guess i"m a bit heavier (15-16K GCW). I saw temps like this yesterday in 95F temps running 65-70mph.

I've never seen my EOT that high - the oil coolers on these trucks are pretty efficient and our cooling systems are pretty oversized. While those temps aren't in a danger zone, I'd be looking at two things. Is your coolant temp getting that hot as well (my EOT and ECT are never more than a few points from each other) and, is your cooling system functioning adequately. I'd be cleaning every component in the cooling stack (radiator, condenser, transmission cooler, intercooler) and checking my fan clutch.
I think it's probably my fan clutch, but I'll probably do a WP and Rad at the same time. My condenser should probably be looked at to. it's up in the front of the stack and gets the brunt of bugs and stuff hitting it.

·
Premium Member
14,691 Posts
The condenser is up front and gets the majority of crap first, but it also gets washed out first with every car wash / rainstorm /etc. The micro crap that gets through tends to build up in the back units. I've seen several radiators that were over half plugged with detritus even though the condenser was relatively clean.

·
Registered
150 Posts
The condenser is up front and gets the majority of crap first, but it also gets washed out first with every car wash / rainstorm /etc. The micro crap that gets through tends to build up in the back units. I've seen several radiators that were over half plugged with detritus even though the condenser was relatively clean.
I had the radiator and intercooler out about 2 years ago, and rinsed them out... a bit of junk at the lower ends but not that bad (My transmission cooler was replaced with the transmission then and since with the 26 row). the bigger issue, IMHO with mine, is the mangled fins on the condenser... it needs to be combed.

I really can't tell on my fan clutch.. it seems a bit tight when cold. No wobble or play though.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RT...I don't have a coolant temperature gage so I don't know what it is but like you I am assuming it is pretty close to the EOT. I'll check my radiator, intercooler and transmission cooler for debris. :thumbsup: You don't think my thermostat could be stuck or not opening fully might be the issue?

Griz

·
Registered
34 Posts
RT- My EOT is a pretty consistent 13 deg higher than coolant . Am using a "Col" XGauge on my Scangauge II as am unable to read coolant temp any other way. The reg XGauge doesn't work. (2/99 mfg date). On a recent trip from CA to AZ, went through most of the desert at 106-116 ambient and had 192 Col and 205 EOT. Is that 13 deg delta indication a potential oil cooler issue?

·
Registered
150 Posts
RT- My EOT is a pretty consistent 13 deg higher than coolant . Am using a "Col" XGauge on my Scangauge II as am unable to read coolant temp any other way. The reg XGauge doesn't work. (2/99 mfg date). On a recent trip from CA to AZ, went through most of the desert at 106-116 ambient and had 192 Col and 205 EOT. Is that 13 deg delta indication a potential oil cooler issue?
That Scangauge code is some sort of estimate that the PCM calculates. There is no sensor for coolant that the PCM is reading on Automatic Transmission Trucks.

·
Registered
153 Posts
With a 203 thermostat I normally see between 203-215. It will go up to 223 in the summer and the fan clutch will lock above 223.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Col vs EOT

That Scangauge code is some sort of estimate that the PCM calculates. There is no sensor for coolant that the PCM is reading on Automatic Transmission Trucks.
That certainly seems to be the case on both counts. Interestingly, it does vary while maintaining a -13 deg delta from EOT. One might wonder if EOT is a basis for the estimate/calculation. At any rate, I don't count on the Col reading for anything but a comparative reference for now and might ultimately delete if it serves no real purpose. Col does increase when the truck is worked harder (towing up a grade) and returns to a nominal reading of 185 or so when not, depending on ambient. Just wondering if RT or anybody else found a 13 deg delta between those 2 to be significant.

·
Premium Member
14,691 Posts
Since it is a made up number, I don't think you can assign any significance to it at all. I would be a little worried if real measurements between ECT and EOT showed a 13° delta. My brief experiment with watching ECT with my scangauge showed the temperature climbing up to the melting point of lead and then plummeting to ice cold and working its way up again. The final display temp was within reason of what you would expect ECT to be, but at the end of the day - its still a made up number.

·
Registered
445 Posts
My 02 oil temp will a lot of time only be about 170 to 205. I live 4.5 miles from town and I can drive to town and do things and drive back home and my oil temp will only get to about 140 degrees. I have IssPro gauges and this in 70 degree weather.

·
Premium Member
14,691 Posts
Right - oil temp being cooler than water temp is meaningless. The delta we worry about is how much hotter the oil is than the coolant. If it goes above a certain point, its a sign the oil cooler is clogged - a big problem on the 6.doh trucks, not at all on the 7.3s.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Right - oil temp being cooler than water temp is meaningless. The delta we worry about is how much hotter the oil is than the coolant. If it goes above a certain point, its a sign the oil cooler is clogged - a big problem on the 6.doh trucks, not at all on the 7.3s.
RT...after I inspected for crud on the radiator and didn't find much I decided I will replace the thermostat and see if that was the cause.

Griz

1 - 17 of 17 Posts