The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thankfully our trucks are not at the direct focus of this but EPA is imposing a fine on Volkswagen for $37,500 per diesel vehicle for cars manufactured the last 7 years that do not meet diesel emissions standards.

EPA says VW intentionally violates clean air standards | Fox News

The Environmental Protection Agency on Friday ordered Volkswagen to fix nearly 500,000 VW and Audi diesel cars that the agency said are intentionally violating clean air laws by using software that evades EPA emissions standards.

VW, which owns Audi, faces billions of dollars in fines, although exact amounts were not determined.

The cars, all built in the last seven years, include a device programmed to detect when they are undergoing official emissions testing, the EPA said, adding that the cars only turn on full emissions control systems during that testing. The controls are turned off during normal driving situations, the EPA said.

The EPA called the company's use of the so-called "defeat device" illegal and a threat to public health.

"EPA is committed to making sure that all automakers play by the same rules," said Cynthia Giles, assistant EPA administrator for enforcement and compliance assurance.

The EPA called on VW to fix the cars' emissions systems, but said car owners do not need to take any immediate action. The violations do not present a safety hazard and the cars remain legal to drive and sell, the EPA said.

The German automaker said in a statement it is cooperating with the investigation, but declined further comment.

The EPA said VW faces fines of up to $37,500 per vehicle for the violations -- a total of more than $18 billion. No final total was announced. California issued a separate compliance order to VW, and officials announced an investigation by the California Air Resources Board.

·
Registered
175 Posts
wow , very odd that a company would do something like that. knowing sooner or later someone would find out.. and will this lead into them going after the tuner company's that support delete kits ?
of course hand held tuners are for off road use only and what VW did or did not do is on street cars
but I bet when they update their software the fixed cars will be dogs ( slower )

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
From what I understand, modified vehicles ARE in the crosshairs. We have been warned that we could be fined just for working on one. Deleting emissions components or making modifications that render pollution controls ineffective will result in fines for the vehicle owner, the shop that did it any the "mechanic" that did it. As I recall, Ford sent out an official statement concerning this to the dealers. Civil penalties as high a $37,500 for dealers and shop owners and other steep fines for owners and technician's...

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
wow , very odd that a company would do something like that. knowing sooner or later someone would find out.. and will this lead into them going after the tuner company's that support delete kits ?
of course hand held tuners are for off road use only and what VW did or did not do is on street cars
but I bet when they update their software the fixed cars will be dogs ( slower )
I guarantee they won't get the same mpg as they are getting once they fix this.. and that is going to open up another whole can of worms for vehicle owners who will sue them because they no longer get the mpg stated.

This is just the beginning for VW...

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Already the ambulance chaser's are advertising. If you own a VW blah blah

·
Registered
11,824 Posts
I guarantee they won't get the same mpg as they are getting once they fix this.. and that is going to open up another whole can of worms for vehicle owners who will sue them because they no longer get the mpg stated.
If I had one and had a choice, no smog checks, I'd want to keep it exactly the way it is.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts