The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,379 Posts
If you live in the ROK, you should be concerned.

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
If you live in the ROK, you should be concerned.

Why?

I'm not one to tell on somebody running deleted/tuned, but the fact is its not legal. We all do things that aren't "legal" but must of us don't get caught. If you do, too bad so sad.

·
Premium Member
14,379 Posts
The story was the EPA in conjunction with the Kalifornia Clean Air Authorities were going to test other models to see if any other manufacturers were "cheating." I envision that meaning new and inventive ways to make sure all diesels are only emitting unicorns and rainbows even outside of your annual smog test.

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
Test is only every OTHER year not annual.

I am not defending the EPA or CARB, believe me I think they approach the feeling that they are beyond reproach, but with the number of vehicles registered in this state, odds are better here to find a manufacturer non compliant vehicle. I stand by my original statement, you play... you may get caught.

Anyway, lets not get this thread too far off track or locked. I'd be happy to discuss via PM or E-mail.

·
Registered
11,824 Posts
It's been against federal law to remove any emission equipment from a pickup for years now. In fact for years any post here is against the rules if it involves how to remove a catalytic converter or whatever.

·
Premium Member
14,379 Posts
I don't think I said this correctly - or at least it didn't come across correctly. My response was you would likely only have to be concerned in California - BECAUSE, the feds are teaming up with the California authorities to start testing there. Not that it wasn't illegal everywhere else, but some states (like Texas) don't emission test diesels even in counties that emission test gassers. And there aren't that many counties that emission test gassers here - just the major metro areas like Houston, Dallas, Austin and the surrounding counties. True, you could get pulled over by a federal agent who could technically get someone who had done a delete, but I've never seen it happen here. Thus, you wouldn't be as concerned here.

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
I understood your post. The only "mistake" was the thought that we did annual smog tests. Even gassers are only every other year. We don't have annual safety inspections and some counties are smog exempt.

I still suspect one of the main reasons for testing here is the sheer number of vehicles.

·
Premium Member
14,379 Posts
That I didn't know - even we have annual safety inspections. Probably more for revenue generation than safety. They drive it around the shop, hit the horn, check the lights and you're good to go. I live in a county adjacent to Harris, so we are an emission county as well. I love to watch the inspection kid try to hook his OBDII scanner into my 57 Chevy... or even better - hunt for the gas cap.

·
Super Moderator
24,888 Posts
I love to watch the inspection kid try to hook his OBDII scanner into my 57 Chevy... or even better - hunt for the gas cap.
Priceless!! :lol:
The reason Cali has emissions testing is that you couldn't see two blocks back in the 60's in LA. I hated going down there, because I got a headache almost immediately after coming over the hill into the LA basin.
Of course, computer controls and fuel injection have cleaned things up drastically. We used to have emissions checks here in the Anchorage area, but they finally got rid of them. I even had to take my truck in to have someone check it and confirm it was a diesel. The guy checked the VIN against the registration and stuck a "Diesel - Exempt" sticker on the windshield. Didn't even pop the hood. I could have had a Model A engine in there for all he knew. :icon_rolleyes:

Back in the 80's I took our car in to be checked, and the kid got all indignant, saying "I can't test this car. It's been tampered with." I asked what he meant, and he pointed to the air cleaner vacuum line for the heat damper being disconnected. I said, "Hmm, must have fallen off", reached down and reconnected it and told him "Now, test it." Of course, it passed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts