The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up an 01 that has a weird to me issue. When I put it in 4wd I loose the dash a/c and defaults to the defrost for 40 seconds then returns to normal. Hubs don't seem to engage though. I manually lock them and all seems fine but it would be nice to control it from inside the cab. Lines appear soft. Guy I bought it from said he had the front end rebuilt recently but in between the time I test drove it and brought it home he thrashed it. Brakes now pulsate, several new dents and damaged door. Didn't notice till I got it home. Looks like he drove it thru a fence too. Can't really rely on him for anything

Thanks

Brett

·
Premium Member
3,754 Posts
Well the guy you purchased the truck from sounds like a real low-life , first thing i would do is get it back to his place and demand some compensation or some of your money back so you can have the damage he done repaired and put back to the condition that you first test drove it.

You have a vacuum leak in the esof system somewhere, check the two black vacuum lines that go to the hubs if you touch them and your hands go black they're cactus and need replacing.
If the low-life said he had just done the front end is it possible that he didn't renew the hub seals?
You will need to borrow a vacuum gun something like this Mityvac Hand Vacuum Pump Kits to check the system out for any leaks , check all the connections around the vacuum pump, use a spray bottle with soapy water around all the connections.

http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f27/esof-vacuum-system-416321/

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I thought if I had a vacuum leak than the a/c would stay on defrost and not switch back to the dash vents. The lines don't seem bad but I'll go thru them again.

As to the original owner, I'm definatley disappointed. Truck was nearly mint with two dents on the bed and now it is all beat up and has bad scratches thru the paint. I have touched up several already.

Brett

·
Premium Member
3,754 Posts
I had a similar leak in my esof system, but turns out to be the PVH solnoid.

You'll have to vacuum check all the lines to solve the problem , :read: through the thread in the link i sent you and spray soapy water on all the vacuum lines , hubs and seals.

I pulled the vacuum line off the vacuum pump when i was working on my esof set up and connected compressed air from the shop compressor, this was done with a regulator set at 15 psi only, this saved me having to have the ignition on all the time while trouble shooting.
This vacuum system can be a real pita to solve.

I can just imagine how disappointed you are with your new (to you) truck, have you phoned or fronted the original owner and ask if he's going to help you out with some repairs to fix the damage?

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
Mine leaked from the hub seals. After I fixed those everything was fine for a while till the vacuum pump died. Then I replaced the vacuum pump and it wouldn't shut off, turned out the pvh was cracked and leaking internally. Replaced the pvh and now all is well for the last few years anyways.

·
Registered
699 Posts
if you keep the truck I would never rely on the ESOF. get out and lock the hubs manually. Lots of folks that live in snow just leave em locked all winter and just take the front transfer case in and out. In the late spring they unlock the hubs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts