The Diesel Stop banner

Ethanol in Fuel Tank

3K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  TousleyParts 
#1 ·
I have the 6.7L Powerstroke. I had @ 8 gallons of diesel in it and added 8 gallons of 85% ethanol gas (yellow handle). OK, I already feel like an idiot so please, let’s let it go at that.
I tried to limp home. Just over a mile. I didn’t go over 30 mph. I got close but the truck started to cycle between normal power & bogged down so I stopped.
I can see pulling, draining, flushing the fuel tank. Replacing primary & secondary filters. But is it really necessary to replace the HP Fuel pump, HP fuel rails, 8 fuel injectors, return hose assembly & fuel delivery pressure switch…A shop cannot determine if these parts are damaged?
Also, do I take it to a dealership I don’t know or an independent shop that I don’t know?

#2 ·
If the HP pump is bad, you will soon know it. You are going to need to do the following regardless, so fiirst thing I would do is drop tank and clean it and change fuel filters. I would fill with at least 5 gallon or maybe ten gallon of diesel and add some additive that provides lubricity and cetane boost.

If HP pump is bad, it will soon show up.

#3 ·
So sorry to hear what happened. I know you already have beat yourself up for it. Hopefully your remediation costs will be low and not cause problems that show up later.

Everybody makes mistakes - lots of little ones, a few medium ones, and hopefully very few big ones. Thank goodness you get to live another day.

No matter how bad I screw something up I say "if I can go to the bathroom by myself it's a good day."

#4 ·
If that pump fails it will take out all the injectors.
The pump itself is far cheaper than 8 injectors.
The entire fuel system is now contaminated with gasoline, so all lines need to be flushed regardless. From what I have read all high pressure components will need to be replaced. If the truck was not started, you could do the flush and filter replacement.
http://www2.apwa.net//Documents/Abo...n_Diagnosis_and_Service_Procedure_Job_Aid.pdf

#5 ·
I will add one thing.

After cleaning tank and new filters, everything back together, but before starting, unhook fuel return line at the tank. Cycle key several times to get the ethanol out if the return line and other places can hide when tank is out. Yes, a potential mess, but do this, hook line back up, cycle key 6-8 times for 20+ seconds each, check for leaks, then start the engine.

#7 ·
Sounds like he shut it off when it first reacted.. which could save him. These are tough trucks.. I bet if he drains the lines etc and adds alot of Diesel lube like Stanadyne in some fuel he would be good to go. Or B20 Bio Diesel.
But if I'm wrong he's in for a big bill. Thinking about it 8 gal of diesel 8 of gas...not good.

#9 ·
Call your insurance company. It should be covered under comprehensive (or Other Than Collision) coverage. Let them handle the repairs. Don't just call your agent and ask, because most agents don't have the claim expertise to know.

Call the corporate claim department and file an actual claim. If they try to deny it, ask them to give you the reason and the pertinent exclusion in writing. Don't complicate the issue by trying to fix it yourself or at your own expense.

It was not a deliberate act, (you didn't intend to put gasoline in the tank) so that exclusion shouldn't apply. Fortunately there is no exclusion for stupid acts. (Sorry I couldn't resist that).

I am a retired insurance claim executive and have seen myriad claims such as this honored.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.