The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 F350 SD 7.3
The steering wheel has a fair amount of slop in it when driving down the highway - you can move it a fair amount without the truck moving in the lane...
Is this typical or should I look more closely at steering, or something else? would definitley like the steering to be tightened up more if feasible...
thoughts? Thanks,

·
Registered
4,904 Posts
It could be several things. jack up the front and look it over closely or consider having it checked by a pro. If you take your time it is pretty easy to spot bad parts.
DENNY

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
I agree with Denny.
I take my trucks to a shop that performs Front End alignments and they tell me what parts need replacing for no charge. I then replace the parts and take it back in for an alignment which I pay for. They have repeatedly told me they don’t mind this at all.

EDIT:
But I do bring them burritos from a local food truck as thanks.

Reactions: bugman

·
Premium Member
9,370 Posts
My alignment shop is just like AD's. They put the vehicle up on the rack and inspect it. They then come and tell me if anything needs to be replaced and what part it is. It is then up to me if I want them to do the work or if I want to tackle it.

Reactions: ArcticDriver

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had it checked out and am told the front end is really good, solid, no issues....
I am told all the slop is definitely in the steering box... i was recommended to look at redhead steering boxes for 7.3's, supposedly a huge upgrade, but man they are kind of pricey.
reviews seem pretty good on them, anyone have one here? Thx

·
Super Moderator
26,153 Posts
It's possible to adjust the mesh of the steering gear to remove some slop, but to do it correctly, you have to disconnect the drag link from the pitman arm, and remove the air bag and use an inch-lb torque wrench to measure the rotating torque at the steering wheel. The proper torque at the steering wheel is 18 in-lb.
You might try that (I'd recommend using a shop to do it.) before changing out the steering box.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts