The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Seeing advice, my 6.0 excursion has had the following done within the past year;
- All new injectors
- 2 new 850 crank batteries
- 1 new alternator
- FICM

On Sunday it was -1 out and it started fine in which I let it run for about ten minutes. While driving for about ten minutes it started to run rough and stalled out. I was not able to start it and had it towed.

Today it's 45 out and it will not start, dome light appears to be strong. Battery voltage tests were 12.18 volts. I jumped and let it charge for 20-25 minutes and retested voltage to be at 13.29. Still will not start.
I'm not getting 13.8 volts on battery. Should I spend the money on new batteries? Or you think it's fuel related

It makes a chugging noise like it's trying to start but will not, a bit of smoke does appear from the exhaust.

Is it a fuel issue? I let some fuel out of the FICM to see if it appeared to be dirty or have water in it but it was clean.

What other things should I be looking at? Is it glow plugs or fuel filters getting gelled up?

Any help to combat the issue would be appreciated

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Welcome to TDS.

First off, the FICM is the fuel injection control module, the silver electrical box resting over the drivers side valve cover near the back so you didn't drain any fuel from that. You mention the FICM was replaced so which component was replaced, the FICM or the unit with the fuel filter in it on the frame rail that is where you drained fuel from?

I ask because if the FICM wasn't replaced, that would be a suspect.

You can open the fuel filter bowl on the top of the engine, the otehr one and see if it's full, but other than that, you really you need to get the truck on a computer before just guessing at parts, you need to see HPOP pressures, FICM voltages etc to know even where to start looking.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts