So I'm rig shopping... The truck will be driven quite a bit by wife but will also be my toy when I'm not driving the 2 seat toy
I'm Looking for something with good space, reliable, not so common, decent off-road, good height and makes me feel like I'm actually in a truck rather than a crossover.
Always liked the 80 series Land Cruiser (1991-1997) including the LX450. They are a bit hard to find but the look great, run forever and are unstoppable off-road. HOWEVER... I just drove my neighbors 03 Excursion diesel (Not sure which one) and wondering if I should be considering them. Surely not as capable off-road but its got me thinking...
1. Its somewhat rare (albeit not as rare as 80)
2. Live axles front and rear so easy to lift
3. Turbo Diesel sounds cool. And I was quite impressed by its power. I was totally expecting a dog that can't get out of its own way since its so heavy
4. The actually see 23-26mpg on highway and 15 in city
5. They look good with nice beefy wheel/tire combo
6. Tons of space. This could also be a con in terms of length
The Landcruiser forums say diesel maintenance can break the bank... Is this true? I always thought diesels are MORE reliable...
Also, how capable are these off-road? Do they have locking Diff?
Finally, I'm new to turbodiesels but when I hear turbo I think exhaust, intake and even bigger turbo = big power. Do any of you do these?