The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 ford excursion, I took it to the dealership to diagnose a shifting issue,but they called me early this morning saying the truck won't start at all.. I went down there to see what was going on, the truck had no issues starting before, so my hubby and I took out the starter, took it to a local parts store and tested it, passed 3x, also replaced the solenoid, still won't start, batteries register fine??? it clicks once, thats it.. no turn over, nothing, all interior lights ,stereo, ect work fine? dealership says I have to get it to start so they can diagnose it.. any ideas? ( other than go to a different dealer, I know.. ) any help would be great, I need to get it to start at least to get it outta there..

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
are you sure the batteries are good? loose connection somewhere(battery)? pretty sad that THEY can't get it started..

·
Registered
95 Posts
I had a starter do the same thing...tested fine...replaced it and problem went away. When they test tme on the machine it doesnt pull the same load as it does on the vehicle. Good Luck!

·
Registered
114 Posts
One *click* or one *clunk*?

Click (regular relay) could mean a poorly adjusted neutral safety switch. Try starting it in neutral or moving the gear lever around a little bit.

Clunk (starter relay) means the solenoid is good enough for a low amp test, but not a high amp start. Starter number 2 did that to me, but it was intermittant and would usually start.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just in case anyone else has this issue.. kragen is a godsend.. we haven't gotten it to start yet, but they have been great helping narrow it down with free testing ect.. we do know that 1 battery is bad ( will replace both) they are less than a year old, so they are going back to napa for warranty replacement, we also picked up a digital voltmeter for a drop test, hopefully it starts this am, wanted to note, the starter is less than a year old,so I trust the test, we went ahead and replaced the solenoid just in case, with a heavy duty one.. now batteries, then cables.. frankly after that I will be completely baffled.. thank you so much for your help !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts