The Diesel Stop banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
There may be a connection.
Yes ArcticDriver. I’m having fun with the new HP but I need to keep my foot out of it, which I’ve started doing. I just filled her up today and I plan on driving normal and seeing how much the mpg changes. I’m wondering how much drag the rancher front bumper and flat bed have on the aerodynamic.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Miles divided by gallons will give you a better result.
Well, that’s what I ment to write. Guessing I was a little more tired than I thought. :grin2:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
There may be a connection.
I figured instead of starting a new post, I’d just continue with this one.

ArcticDriver, I found out that I was running on my 80 hp tune, so I changed it to my 60 hp daily and drive the truck grandma style. My fuel mileage hasn’t come up that much. My last tank ended up being close to 13 mpg. I’m starting to wonder if the rancher front bumper and the flat bed have anything to do with the fuel mileage. The flat bed doesn’t stick out much. About an inch on the sides. Down closer to the bottom it’s a bit more. I’m wondering if a ground effect air spoiler under the rancher bumper might help direct some air flow from the front of the truck. There are people here getting way better mpg out of their trucks. I should be able to do better than 13.

·
Premium Member
3,872 Posts
I agree you should get better than 13.

One contributor is probably winter diesel fuel, maybe this results in 10% or ~1.6 mpg.

The new bed does not sound like a wind load but more likely added weight. Just my opinion.

The new bumper could be increases wind resistance AND extra weight but hopefully guys with this front bumper will share opinions.

I would contact the company who wrote your tunes and ask their opinion. Your tune is 60-econ and not 60-tow or 60-mountain?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I agree you should get better than 13.

One contributor is probably winter diesel fuel, maybe this results in 10% or ~1.6 mpg.

The new bed does not sound like a wind load but more likely added weight. Just my opinion.

The new bumper could be increases wind resistance AND extra weight but hopefully guys with this front bumper will share opinions.

I would contact the company who wrote your tunes and ask their opinion. Your tune is 60-econ and not 60-tow or 60-mountain?
I have 3 tunes. A 60 tow, 60 daily and 80 daily. I agree. I need to contact dp and see what he thinks. From what I’ve seen here, my truck seems to shift at about the same rpms as most with normal driving. I just have to figure out this mpg thing or I might as well be driving my gasser which gets about the same. I’d rather not do that. I really like my 7.3.

My rancher front bumper doesn’t seem to come down as much in the front as a stock bumper. I know a lot of air is getting under the truck. I like the rancher bumper and from all the stories I hear of people hitting deer and elk around here, I’d rather leave it on, just in case one of those dudes walks out in front of me.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts