The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to put on an exhaust breakBD Exhaust Brake for Ford Powerstroke at DieselManor before I bring my 44' 5th wheel from NY to Montana and back.
I need the piece of mind on those long downgrades. Granted, the new camper has 6 wheels, all with brakes, I still wan't to err on the side of caution.

Since I'm already disconnecting the exhaust for the exhaust brake install, I was thinking this may be a good time to upgrade to a 4" exhaust from Diesel Manor. http://dieselmanor.com/mbrp/S6200P.htm

Will the extra 1/2" of exhaust make a noticeable drop in EGT?

Will a cold air intake help with egt too? AFE 51-10061-1 Cold Air Intake System at DieselManor

I'm definitely putting a 6.0 trans cooler on before trip.

Truck is bone stock with Trans, EGT, and Boost gauges.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
The stock downpipe is actually 3 inch with some odd bends to it. My truck came with 4 in downpipe back exhaust just adding the 4 inch downpipe dropped egts 150 degrees.

An intake will also free up some flow.

Sounds like you need to get a good tow tune now.

Also look into upgrading the exhaust valve springs if you want to run an exhaust brake. Php explains why on their website.

Reactions: kench

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
4" turbo back exhaust and intake will help with egt.

The other option instead of exhaust brake is get chip and tune from dptuner. He has a tune that is call decel that use the EBPV and lockup the torque converter (if i remember wright) witch is similar to exhaust brake. And you get some nice tuning at the same time

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: kench

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
The decel tune is still a bad idea without upgrading the valve springs.

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
Can someone tell me why this air intake is only for 1999.5-2001? What change was made on the 7.3 for 2002-2003 that would prevent this from fitting?

Would this open style housing be noisier than a Ford AIS? Would it allow hotter engine compartment air to enter compared to a closed airbox like the AIS?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
The decel tune is still a bad idea without upgrading the valve springs.
This is not true. We have never had an issue with the Decel tune and 99% of people using the tune are running stock valve springs. The tune does not let the EBP get high enough to cause damage. It took Jody 4 years to create this tune before he offered it to the public. A ton of testing went into it.

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
Can someone tell me why this air intake is only for 1999.5-2001? What change was made on the 7.3 for 2002-2003 that would prevent this from fitting?
For what I know, they are the same from 99.5 to 03.....

Would this open style housing be noisier than a Ford AIS? Would it allow hotter engine compartment air to enter compared to a closed airbox like the AIS?

Thanks
I have the 6637 and it is noisier from the stock box. main difference I think is the turbo whistle, It is louder with open filter than close one. IMO

Reactions: ArcticDriver

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
So when your at high ebpv it opens the valve back up? How does it prevent high back pressure? I understand he locks the converter and does more than just close the valve.

I'm guessing the intake is 99.5 to 01 because the later model has the electronic restriction gauge?

The AIS will be the quietest. And I haven't seen a difference between my s&b and 6637 as far as engine heat causing a performance difference.

This is in Northern California 100+ degree summers too.

Reactions: ArcticDriver

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
So when your at high ebpv it opens the valve back up? How does it prevent high back pressure? I understand he locks the converter and does more than just close the valve.

I'm guessing the intake is 99.5 to 01 because the later model has the electronic restriction gauge?

The AIS will be the quietest. And I haven't seen a difference between my s&b and 6637 as far as engine heat causing a performance difference.

This is in Northern California 100+ degree summers too.
Yes, the tune will only let EBP get so high. If EBP goes above the set point, the valve will open more to drop pressure. Yes, the TQ converter is locked and pressure is applied to the coast clutch to prevent trans damage.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Thanks for the info Justin. I honesty didn't know the nitty gritty on it and wanted to learn.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What I ended up doing.

I got a DP-Tuner with a Decel tune. It works great!

Also added a 20 HP tow tune, drive through tune, daily driver tune, and stock tune.

Put in a 4" turbo back MBRP exhaust, and S&B intake.

Reactions: [email protected]
1 - 13 of 13 Posts