The Diesel Stop banner

Exhaust Noise/Drone

9K views 37 replies 10 participants last post by  ldmc 
#1 ·
I have an 05 X and installed a turbo back 4" magna flow exhaust. Since I have done this, I have a horrible drone from 1500 to 2000 rpms. This happens to be the range I tow in and crusie Hwy. I've checked everything for rubbing and clearance issues, found nothing.

The Cat is also gone.

Has any one else experienced this? And what have you done to eliminate it.

I'm ready to put my stock back on and put this exhaust on ebay.

#2 ·
I think I'm keeping my stock exhaust on my Excursion because of that. I have a straight pipe on my E350 diesel, and I prefer to drive it above 2000RPM's as a result.

#3 ·
I have issues as well with my exhaust. If I still had my stock exhaust I would put it back on. Mine doesn't seem like it is as bad as yours but I would not recommend changing to anyone. Perhaps just a new flow through muffler is a better option.

#4 ·
I have a 4" MBRP turbo-back and I too have the mad drone with the same symptoms. It's not too bad for short travels, but after a week it got pretty miserable for my little girl and wife in the back seat. It didn't overly bother me, but it was especially noticeable by the fact that I couldn't hear my little girl in the back seat and by the end of the week she was complaining about how loud it was and no longer wanted to ride in "daddy's truck." That was a sad day. I've heard that some different mufflers will fix this problem, but that's just more $$ that I don't want to spend.

On the flip side, after pulling my old exhaust off, I was disgusted with how small and restricted it was. I can confirm slight mileage increases and lower EGT's, but it all comes at the price of the drone. Was it worth it? I'm still up in the air about it, but when it comes to our trucks, that's one of those lessons you have to learn the hard way I guess.

Harold

#5 ·
Agree with Hariball. Its all about give and take. I even put in a flex pipe section - did not help. My is really only bad in any of my tune modes and more noticable when towing. With the fuel prices the way they are now I take it much easier so save fuel so the importance of lower egt is not as impirtant anymore because I would be letting off anyway to save fuel. Now if fuel price wasn't an issue I would floor it. But if you drive in a way to save fuel you probably wouldn't have an issue with egt temps anyway with the stock exhaust.

Anybody want to but a used MBRP stainless exhaust? It actually is nice and not that loud unless you are towing heavy like I do. Anybody can come and drive my truck to try it out if they would like before buying a new exhaust.

I wonder what would happen if you put the stock muffler on with the MBRP pipes?

#6 ·
Not to many people have talked about their drone issues with the X.

I spoke with a company in Utah called Gillette Diesel. They have seen this issue before with some F series and Excursions. They told me to try and put on an Aeroturbine 4040XL muffler in front of the magna flow. The have a resonator built in them and come with a 60 day return warrenty if I don't like it. I would just have to pay for the return shipping.

I also spoke with Banks and explained my situation. The first thing out of their mouth was is it a Magna Flow or MBRP? They informed me that I needed to keep my Cat in for noise and their muffler is designed to eliminate drone. Banks also told me that I could return the muffler if it didn't work.

I will post what I try and if it works. I don't want any one else making the mistake that we already have.

#7 · (Edited)
Do you have room for that? I thought I looked into this as well and the cost was such that I wasn't sure it was worth it to me and have it not do anything. Look at the Van forum and in particular posts from LarryM. Do a search on drone. You will find more than you will ever want to read.

#8 ·
I've read lots of experiements on the E-Series forum too on drone. Some have done the things that have been talked about. No dramatic, consistent changes. But stock doesn't have the drone.

#10 ·
I saw that awhile ago. Which one and where along the system did you install it? I put the flex pipe in front of the transmission mount at the bottome of the down pipe so no space there. I guess I gave up but maybe this will get me going again. I would also consider a different tail pipe but then I would have to cut off the nice one that is on there now. It that didn't help I would be pissed.

#11 ·
I have a 22" long pipe after the x member, that if I take that out and cut maybe a 6" piece off of my DP extension the Aero will fit in front of the Magna flow. The 4040 XL is on back order, but should be delivered around the 23rd.

Crusher,

Did you replace your other muffler with the Aero or put it in front of it?

#12 ·
For what it's worth, I replaced the stock muffler with a Walker BTM. It lowered the EGTs and sounds cool, no drone. It is long but maybe it would help in the MBRP or Magna Flow system in place of the provided one.

#13 ·
The walker is what I would recommend now to those that really want to do exhaust.

#14 ·
I'd be very curious how the Walker BTM would do in the MBRP/Magnaflow systems as a direct replacement for their mufflers. In researching what people had, I saw that a lot of people really swore by them, but they were all installed on a stock system.

#15 ·
Exhaust drone

What is the Walker part number people have used to put a Walker BTM in place of the OEM muffler on a stock exhaust? (I have an '01 7.3 Ex.)

Thanks,

DOC

#16 ·
#18 · (Edited)
I posted this about 4 months ago. I hope it helps.

"Easy question but expecting a lot of different answers.

I am looking to upgrade the exhaust on my 02 7.3 Ex. I'd like a good all around turbo back system, and would consider new downpipe. Goal is to increase airflow, lower EGTs. Don't want extreme noise, but do want a 'healthier' sound than stock. $750 (plus install) is budget.

Let the recommendations fly. Thanks."

http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f13/best-all-around-exhaust-195852/#post1549039

The Walker BTM met all my expectations. I have not reconsidered installing a whole new exhaust since the BTM was installed. I tested it on a 5500 pound tow over the Grapevine from LA to No. Calif a couple of weeks ago and did not see EGTs higher than 1100 on the steepest parts at 60+ mph on a 100+ degree summer day. I did turn OD off a couple of times to keep rpm up and the 'air flowing' thru the motor. I'm very happy (except it would look cool to have a larger exhaust tip at the back of the X :)).

All for less than $200 installed. A turbo-back system might lower the EGTs a little more and would look cool, but I've been reading recently that some are experiencing an annoying drone with some of the turbo-back exhaust systems that I don't experience.

#20 ·
SuperDave, your summary is correct.
I have not noticed a change in mileage, but I don't track it that closely anymore. I did notice a slight increase with the Cortex Tuner set on Tow-safe. And, between the cool sound (muffler) and extra OOMMPHH (tuner) I don't necessarily drive it to optimize mileage. It is no longer my daily driver so when I do drive it, I DRIVE it :)

#21 · (Edited)
Corsa Exhaust

Has anyone heard or used a Corsa Performance exhaust. They claim they eliminate all drone.

http://www.corsaperformance.com/

#22 ·
Update:

I put on a Aero Turbine 4040 XL in front of my Magna Flow muffler, along with some Quite Car undercoating on the bare metal above my exhaust. Took it for a test ride and the drone is less. It seems to only come on around 70 mph and 2000 rpms. I will hook up the trailer and see how bad it is with that. I'm still not 100% happy with this and am still looking to eliminate it completely. I may even look at wrapping the tail pipe from the muffler to the hanger and see if that helps.

I will give you all a post after I tow the trailer.

#23 ·
Well, It's not much better towing. The drone is bad under a load until it downshifts. Looks like the Aero Turbine will be going back.

I'm running out of ideas without going back to stock.

#24 ·
I have seen youtube videos of modified exhausts. You hear everything from weird fluttering sounds to turbo whistle.
Some of them are just damn loud!!!!!!

You would think "somebody" would have "the" system, no drone, not too loud.

#25 ·
Racer-X

That is what I'm trying to find. I really don't want to go back to stock, but the lower EGT's and performance is not worth dealing with the drone.

I can't believe no one has tried the Corsa DB Muffler. They claim it eliminates drone.

#26 ·
Thanks for the update Idmc. Now I won't [ursue the aero either. Unless you are going really big on your mods I would stick with stock. Here is my theory and wish that I had. I have the DP Tuner 40tow, 60tow, 80econo. Very nice. But you do have to watch the guages particularly with towing. So, you would think a new exhaust would help. Well it does allow you to push a little harder. Not sure it really saves you any mpgs. But, with the new price of fuel recently I take it easy anyway trying to save every last drop. So, I don't really push it that hard towing now because a few mph makes a huge difference in mpgs. So, my limiting factor for speed is now my concern for mpgs and not how fast I can tow up a hill.

#27 ·
Another update.

I'm giving up. I'm going to put the cat back in. Then run 4" from there back. I just need to find a Down Pipe for an 05 X.

Anyone have one for sale?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.