The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of a portable, manually-operated flaring tool for exhaust pipe? I want to put the flare on the bottom of a `96 up pipe. Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,596 Posts
You might want to check at a exhaust shop and see if they will do it for you but then you will be restricted in the diameter of the pipe that you are using. Most don't do the size that is required on a diesel.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Hammer & anvil, FTW.

·
Super Moderator
26,510 Posts
Back when I used to do plumbing we had a tool to build flanged tailpieces (the part that goes immediately below the sink drain to the trap). It consisted of a sleeve that was split so it could go around the brass tubing and be clamped in a vise with enough sticking above to form the flange. Then there was a cylindrical piece that got put into the top of the tubing with a hinged part with knob that you crank around a few times and presto, you had a flanged tailpiece.

A guy could build a similar rig to form the flare on a downpipe or whatever. This is similar to the one we used. Speed Type Tailpiece Flanging Tool - Specialty Tools for the Serious Plumber

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Back when I used to do plumbing we had a tool to build flanged tailpieces (the part that goes immediately below the sink drain to the trap). It consisted of a sleeve that was split so it could go around the brass tubing and be clamped in a vise with enough sticking above to form the flange. Then there was a cylindrical piece that got put into the top of the tubing with a hinged part with knob that you crank around a few times and presto, you had a flanged tailpiece.

A guy could build a similar rig to form the flare on a downpipe or whatever. This is similar to the one we used. Speed Type Tailpiece Flanging Tool - Specialty Tools for the Serious Plumber
Nicely designed tool - thanks for posting that.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I think this may be closer to what you want: Amazon Search Results

But most of them aren't strong enough to actually stretch pipe. They're really just for pressing out the neck caused by a U-clamp. The Lisle stretcher claims to actually do what you want.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-17350-Pipe-Stretcher-Kit/dp/B005ADY8V4/[/ame]

·
Super Moderator
26,510 Posts
Those just expand the pipe so you can do a lap joint with another section of exhaust.

I understand that Kimber1911 is wanting to flare the end at a 45 degree angle. That could also be done with a support ring around the outside near the end and then use a hammer to bend the flange out. That's a bit *******, and might make the flare a little uneven, but with care it would work.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Those just expand the pipe so you can do a lap joint with another section of exhaust.

I understand that Kimber1911 is wanting to flare the end at a 45 degree angle. That could also be done with a support ring around the outside near the end and then use a hammer to bend the flange out. That's a bit *******, and might make the flare a little uneven, but with care it would work.
I agree, this tool won't do the flair. I looked all over the lisle website and found nothing.

You've probably figured out by now that I'm okay with ******* ways :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts