The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's time for a new exhaust. Mine has fallen off, disconnected at every connection point, the hanger connections to the muffler are broken, etc.. and i want to upgrade to a 4 in exhaust.

I live in a quiet neighborhood so I don't really want anything that's too loud. I've thought of running an open exhaust be i fear that it would be too loud. are they loud?

What is a turbo back? is that an exhaust without a muffler? also what is the recommended brand? I saw one with two pipes that i thought was pretty nice too.

feedback appreciated

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Turbo back means just that, exhaust from turbo back.
I bought the diamond eye 4 inch kit. No muffler. I got mine on amazon, they had the option to add a muffler.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
Turbo back with flow through muffler will be a good choice. It will be more loud than the stock setup but you won't ear it inside the cab ?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
9,598 Posts
They say turbo back usually because they also include a down pipe so if you don't need a different pipe just get the exhaust piping. Also you will never get a 4" down pipe to fit if that is what you are figuring a turbo back exhaust is. It is actually a 3" down pipe until after the bell housing where it will flare out to the 4".

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the replies. The PO already upgraded the down pipe with a 3" SS Silver Line so I only need the exhaust piping after the down pipe. Sounds like I'm going to need a system with a muffler because i don't want it to be any louder than it already is.

Also, i didn't mention it before but the PO did mention to me that the truck has a Banks Chip and Banks Transcommand and he was running it "straight piped". He noted that i could reinstall the muffler and Cat but I think he mentioned that it could negatively effect something. I still have the Cat off but muffler on and it seems to be okay after 4 years.

Anybody know what he may have been talking about? also, I've heard some negative comments about the banks system. Should I remove it?

·
Premium Member
9,598 Posts
The biggest problem with the Banks stuff is their price, and for the money there is better stuff out there but if you already have it I'd run it. It is quite possibly the safest power enhancement chip out there in my opinion.

On the exhaust the stock piping is 3 1/2" so going to 4" really isn't that much of a difference and unless you are adding a lot of power it isn't needed. But if yours is falling apart you need to do something with it to fix it. Some of the kits will not include a muffler and if you want to keep the stock muffler I would just go 4" from the muffler back instead of trying to get a 4" from the down pipe to a 3 1/2" opening on the muffler and then going back to 4". Now if the 4" kit that you are looking at include a muffler then it would be no problem.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Keep this in mind...idling around the neighborhood, most of the noise of a diesel is from the engine itself. The turbo keeps them from being obnoxious. It's not like a Harley with headers. Muffler if you want, but I bet it's not noticeably quieter. My last truck only had a 3" MBRP downpipe with a 3" 45 degree end and it wasn't any louder with that than when it had the full cat/muffler setup. Had some cab drone, but thats because the dingaling (me) that installed it had it end right at the middle of the cab.
AaronSEIA

·
Registered
330 Posts
A 4" is definitely worth it, the only recommendation that I can make is NOT to buy a Magnaflow. I bought a stainless downpipe back system and front mounting was completely wrong. Contacted Magnaflow and they basically didn't care.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts