The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2012 F-250 SD 6.7 Powerstroke. The check engine light came on and shortly afterwards the "Drive to clean" came on in the message center followed by "Cleaning exhaust filter" and then back to "Drive to clean" again. It apparently is not working correctly. The truck has 41K and this has never been displayed before. I called the dealership and the only apt was over 1 week away. The serv tech advised to drive at least 20 minutes or 20 miles to allow time to clean the filter. Well that was done and now The exhaust clean icon appeared accompanied by 50MPH in 30 miles. Well now I am 45 miles from the dealership and what can I expect trying to get there. I read the manuel about Operater initiated Regen but it advised if the "check engine" warning was on that the manuel regen could not be accomplished. Is there anything I can do to remedy this or just keep my cell phone handy.

As I stated I have never had a problem and I am wondering if the recent Emmission recall that I had done would have attributed to this problem.

·
Registered
49 Posts
My initial thought would be that the DPF is totally clogged but at just 41k miles I don't think that's the case unless you idle alot. The emissions recall shouldn't have had a negative effect, I believe that particular recall had something to do with EGT sensors. I wouldn't know for sure though since I got rid of all mine. I have the same year truck and had it deleted since 56k miles. If you have a diesel shop close by they might be able to help you get it figured out but I'm assuming you're under warranty so the dealer would be "free". Emissions problems like that are becoming a common issue with these trucks, it revolves a lot around the DPF and EGT sensors. Hopefully they can get it figured out for you. Keep us posted and let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
I have a 2012 F-250 SD 6.7 Powerstroke. The check engine light came on and shortly afterwards the "Drive to clean" came on in the message center followed by "Cleaning exhaust filter" and then back to "Drive to clean" again. It apparently is not working correctly. The truck has 41K and this has never been displayed before. I called the dealership and the only apt was over 1 week away...
Since you're concerned, redoverfarm, you might want to see if any other local Ford Dealerships can get you in for diagnosis earlier. Enter your ZIP code here for some options: http://www.ford.com/dealerships/locate I'll hang around this thread to see how things go; once you've had this looked over, I'll be able to research some ways to assist.

Crystal

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Crystal & thewrap for your replies. Long story short it is fixed. Once I called them and explained what was going on they told me to go ahead and bring it in. So this morning I managed to drive all the way without any problems. The culpert was 2 Exhaust sensors AC3Z "EGT" . They did a hard burn to clear the soot out and I was good to go. Shoot my mileage was even back to somewhat normal. Technology is bitter/sweet but I guess it is something that will be around for awhile :lol:.

Wondered about the message displays while enroute. Stated "50 MPH in 26 miles". Once that had been reached it displayed "50 MPH on restart". The speed was not restricted but if I read it correctly it might possibly been if I would have stopped and restarted the vehicle.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Wondered about the message displays while enroute. Stated "50 MPH in 26 miles". Once that had been reached it displayed "50 MPH on restart". The speed was not restricted but if I read it correctly it might possibly been if I would have stopped and restarted the vehicle.
That's what mine did recently with the exhaust fluid system fault warning. I drove it about 30 miles with the speed limited on restart message. The 60 mile trip home was limited to 50 MPH. About 20 miles or so into the return trip I got a "engine idled soon" warning then the next day it displayed "engine idled". It would free rev but as soon as I started to move the throttle went dead.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Thanks Crystal & thewrap for your replies. Long story short it is fixed. Once I called them and explained what was going on they told me to go ahead and bring it in. So this morning I managed to drive all the way without any problems. The culpert was 2 Exhaust sensors AC3Z "EGT" . They did a hard burn to clear the soot out and I was good to go. Shoot my mileage was even back to somewhat normal. Technology is bitter/sweet but I guess it is something that will be around for awhile :lol:.

What is the level of your DEF? If you run low or out you are not going anywhere.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Thanks Crystal & thewrap for your replies. Long story short it is fixed. Once I called them and explained what was going on they told me to go ahead and bring it in. So this morning I managed to drive all the way without any problems. The culpert was 2 Exhaust sensors AC3Z "EGT" . They did a hard burn to clear the soot out and I was good to go. Shoot my mileage was even back to somewhat normal...
Great news, redoverfarm; I'm glad they got you fixed up! If you need any help in the future, I'll be here.

Crystal

1 - 7 of 7 Posts