The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so when the truck was newer the exhaust really didn't smell like the typical diesel exhaust it smelt clean, now with about 65k the exhaust smells like diesel and if you look in the pipe you can see the black suit lining the pipe.. whats this mean?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Well to my 7 year old daughter it means she wants to stand there and sniff it as she loves the smell of diesel exhaust.

Are you saying the exhause smells like diesel fuel or diesel exaust? I just want to clarify that.

Pre 2008 trucks, soot in the exhaust pipe is normal.

Thanks,

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It smells more like the 7.3 exhaust, the best word i can think of is "Dirty".

Well to my 7 year old daughter it means she wants to stand there and sniff it as she loves the smell of diesel exhaust.

Are you saying the exhause smells like diesel fuel or diesel exaust? I just want to clarify that.

Pre 2008 trucks, soot in the exhaust pipe is normal.

Thanks,

·
Registered
57 Posts
MBRP Turbo back exhaust. Of course....you will really notice some stronger fumes then.....but you will also notice better fuel mileage and performance too!

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Your engine could be running rich. You might want to verify the condition and integrity of the catalytic converter but there are a few things that can cause this heavy exhaust odor and it's an indication it's running rich. Do you also notice any smoke beyond what is normal? I might start by looking at the ICP sensor for a biased condition or wiring problem at the sensor connector that will affect the signal. A power balance test will identify injector concerns. That would be a good start...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Your engine could be running rich. You might want to verify the condition and integrity of the catalytic converter but there are a few things that can cause this heavy exhaust odor and it's an indication it's running rich. Do you also notice any smoke beyond what is normal? I might start by looking at the ICP sensor for a biased condition or wiring problem at the sensor connector that will affect the signal. A power balance test will identify injector concerns. That would be a good start...

Only time i see smoke is if i floor the thing from a dead start or pulling a load going up hill floored but that is VERY rare that i floor the truck..

·
Registered
158 Posts
Yes, the heat should burn off the soot that's built up in there. Personally, I'd stick an exhaust and intake on it anyways to help you're mileage. Not sure how it all works out there in California though!

·
Registered
1 Posts
any one

any one? is this just normal brake in?
I have a 2007 Dodge ram 3500, it's 13 years old . I just noticed in the last couple of months that it has a very strong diesel smell coming from the exhaust. I'm trying to figure out why this is. I put Lucas in it every time I fill it up since the day I bought it and it has ran great. But now it smells and there's Arley and I said coming out the back tail pipe. I have the same question video

1 - 16 of 16 Posts