The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having just cut apart and removed the existing MBRP 4" expanding to 5" exhaust system that had been crammed into my newly purchased used 2000, I'm asking for opinions about a replacement exhaust system closer is diameter to stock and quieter than the whole house ventilation system I just pulled out. Thank goodness the previous owner had not battered the firewall and cooked a rear shock when installing their Alaska Pipeline exhaust system. Thanks for your insights.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Id recommend a 4 inch system with a aero resonator and muffler. If you don't want a resonator just a muffler system will work great and not be loud either.

you won't hear any exhaust in cab just the super noisy injectors/engine at that point.

·
Premium Member
15,103 Posts
By design, the restriction point in the exhaust system is the turbo. Any pipe larger than the turbine port will be sufficient. The stock muffler could become a restriction point over time as it would clog up with soot. A straight through muffler like the Walker BTM takes care of that. So, like bluestroker said, a 4" system or even a stock 3 1/2" system with a good muffler is all you need. Anything bigger is just compensating for something else...

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
I noticed a 100 degree drop in egts switching out the stock downpipe for a 4 inch one.

But any system with a good muffler will work good.

·
Premium Member
15,103 Posts
What are you driving? Fill out your signature so we'll know. I know the early 99 had a tight downpipe.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Signature begun and in progress along with truck.
Walker makes a 4" BTM muffler #21471 popular for replacement of stock mufflers. Has anyone added 4" pipes, (Walker or comparable) to this muffler to complete the system at a significant savings to an MBRP complete system including replacements?

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
the walker btm for the stock exhaust works great. so imagine their 4" muffler works great as well.

how much is the walker btm?

you can get diamond eye straight pipe for 230 then buy the walker btm or buy the diamond eye system with muffler for 260.

my dads truck has 4" diamond eye with muffler and it sounds great with no drone and its not much louder than stock.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts