The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How hot does the pipe get at the spare, should I do something about it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

Bill

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
It's not that hot. (At least mine aren't). I think there might be some play in the spare.

Barrett

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did move the spare over, I have a 33.5" spare.The pipe is about 1/8" from the spare, and the exhaust does move. I was wondering if the pipe gets hot enough to do damage if the pipe rests on the spare?

Bill

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
It won't get hot at all, you can test this by hotrodding or pull a big hill and do a quick stop and put your hand on it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif. If ya think it's too hot just bend the hanger a little for clearence or sheild it with some header wrap or some tin foil. Or ya can always let the air out untill it clears /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cary

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
How hot does the pipe get at the spare, should I do something about it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

Bill

[/ QUOTE ]

I didnt even bother to. It doesnt get hot enough to do anything to the spare.

-Bill

·
Registered
203 Posts
I put the Banks 4" monster exhaust on my old truck (2000)and it actually burned my spare. I ended up bolting an aluminum channel between the spare and the exhaust. There wasn't a lot of clearance on the 2000. If the pipe touches the spare then there's a good chance it will burn it. My 2005 seems to have more room because the right shock has been put forward of the axle.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My 4 inch doesn't hit the spare but it is close to the high performance (Ha) Rancho shock boot and has melted the boot. I first noticed it with my camper on (smell of plastic burning) I think there is some flex in the frame with the camper on because it only touches with the camper on and close with it off.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Did any of you guys with a 35" spare have to do any modifications to get it to fit? I'm getting ready to mount a 35 on my spare wheel and I was wondering if it would fit.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
I had a 95 Chevy with the 6.5 diesel and a Jardine exhaust system. The tail pipe slid out of the rubber hanger and would have came all the way out if not for the spare tire stopping it. the result was the tail pipe burned into the tire about 1 inch. Pre-turbo EGTs approaching 1300°F when pulling load.

The temperature at the tail pipe should have been much less but it was hot enough to melt the tire tread!

Bob

·
Registered
195 Posts
Just put a 35inch spare under the bed. Works fine, fits fine, no melting.

Phil

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Phil,

Do you have 4" exhaust, I think he was asking if a 35" tire would fit with that set up.

Bill

1 - 12 of 12 Posts