The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I generally have my oil analyzed by Blackstone Labs about once a year to trend wear - have done this since I bought the truck new in 1998. The results have been very consistent (good) until this past year after using Archoil for the first time (I was dealing with what turned out to be bad injector internal o-rings and tried it as a "Hail Mary, what could it hurt?").

I did not sample the first oil change that had the Archoil (and probably a lot of gunk if Archoil does what it claims...I am not promoting or denying). The next oil change had high lead, potassium, and boron. Blackstone asked me if I used Archoil as that would explain the potassium and boron (yep, I did.). I figured the lead was related to "cleaning out" the engine and oil pan. I also told myself that it wasn't a very good sample as I almost forgot to grab it and got the tail end of the oil.

However, I am now 4 oil changes since the Archoil additive. The potassium and boron are back to normal but lead is still up at 22-24 ppm which is way out of my normal (less than 6ppm). I am wondering if I am losing a bearing (nothing feels out of whack, the truck runs well and oil pressure is still centered on the idiot-gauge) or if it is normal to see residual lead after using Archoil, especially first time on a 265k mile truck. Anyone have experience to share?

Assuming the worst...obviously cam and crank bearings contribute to lead. Will turbo bearing contribute lead? Should I start looking into monitoring engine oil pressure with a better gauge than the stock one?

·
Registered
296 Posts
The factory oil pressure gauge is a go /no go idiot light with a needle. The sending unit is a switch that closes at about 7 psi. So, it will show a centered needle until it is below that.

I like gauges, and one of them is an oil pressure gauge. At operating temperatures, the gauge in my '96 reads from around 30psi at idle to around 50psi on the road.

About the lead, does Blackstone think it's a problem? They seem to be on top of things.

Personally, I don't put additives in my oil. I do, however, put some Power Service and two-cycle in the fuel since the lubricity in diesel was affected by 50ppm sulphur mandate. However, I understand they're taking zinc out of today's oils, so maybe I should think about additives to that, too.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks MichaelPatrick. This helps.

BlackStone says to monitor it as long as oil pressures are good but they are showing it high versus normal. Your observation of the "idiot light" is what I suspected - so I don't know if oil pressures are "good"...just that there is some.

I already run with water temp (my factory one is pretty useless), pyro, and boost on a pillar pod so I guess I need to find a place to mount another gauge. Where did you install your sending unit and are you using electrical or mechanical (oil filled tubing)? - looking for recommendations from successful installations rather than reinventing the wheel. Thanks for the readings as this will help me get a baseline of normal.

·
Registered
10,890 Posts
You could install a sender in place of the factory switch (top of the HPOP Resrvoir) or use the port down by the oil filter header (that would be my choice). JMO, I wouldn't run a mechanical gauge with hot oil under pressure into the cab. If you had a failure, it wouldn't be good. This is from the 99+ forum, but there is a pic in this post: Oil test port | The Diesel Stop
Cheers!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Outstanding Patrick - many thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts