The Diesel Stop banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Back when it was more popular subject, I dont remember anyone referring to the fill tube, but maybe I'm wrong. Anyhow I only did the vent & it will fill up quickly with no early cut off, from nozzle.

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
My tank is 37 gallons and that gives me over a 500 mile range, so the Harpoon is not really that important. If I ever have to drop the tank again, which I will probably have to because of the JB Weld on the float, I'll cut the PVC then. I've finished the AirDog install but haven't really had a chance to try it out. It definitely starts better, 2-3 cranks as opposed to 5-7 before, and the idle is smoother. I haven't driven it because of a fuel leak at the drain valve. I'm in the planning stages of doing a Fuel Bowl Delete, but have not finalized plans as yet.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Your bowl drain leak, is because of the "O"-rings in the valve? Have they ever been changed? Just curious if they were the latest compound.
Your tank is 37 gals of fuel or calculated volume from manufacturer? Remember air is trapped in top for expansion. (2-3 gallons?) My scan gauge computer on highway shows I have a range up wards over 600 miles. I now save known cheaper fuel stops in my GPS & use "gas-buddy app. to synchronize with my kidneys.

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Morning, Bork. I rebuilt the bowl quite a few years g with Diesel O-rings; not sure which year. I'm pulling it this morning to check it and make the decision on whether to totally delete it or not.

·
Registered
182 Posts
On my van, that plastic drain valve on the fuel filter assembly even leaked after new o-rings.
Turned out the plastic valve body warped, took pressure off the o-rings and thus they leaked.
Rather than replacing a crappy design with a new crappy plastic valve body, I deleted it, made an Aluminum cover plate to cover the holes, no more leaks.
Re-used the same o-rings on my metal cover too. (I machined o-ring pockets into the Aluminum cover for them)
I had already installed an enormous DAHL filter/water separator in the fuel line under the van, so not concerned about water issues.

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Well, my drain wasn't leaking. The hose connecting the nipple on the drain to the metal drain line was not on good; don't know how it worked loose. Cut another one and use hose clamps to secure it.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Thats where mine leaked also, because o rings weren't sealing. If that tube had a perfect fit, eventually the drip would appear below, at the end of tubing/hose.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
On my van, that plastic drain valve on the fuel filter assembly even leaked after new o-rings.
Turned out the plastic valve body warped, took pressure off the o-rings and thus they leaked.
Rather than replacing a crappy design with a new crappy plastic valve body, I deleted it, made an Aluminum cover plate to cover the holes, no more leaks.
Re-used the same o-rings on my metal cover too. (I machined o-ring pockets into the Aluminum cover for them)
I had already installed an enormous DAHL filter/water separator in the fuel line under the van, so not concerned about water issues.
Hmmm, good idea, and maybe have a plate made with a nipple to connect a pressure line down to a remote ball-valve .

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Well, I'm done. I've dropped the tank, completed a Hutch Mod, and installed an AirDog. I am impressed!! I didn't drive it very much after the up pipe install, and don't know how much of an improvement that was, but now, with the AirDog, this van is quiet. My wife and I can actually talk without raising our voices. I've only driven it around the block, about 2 miles, but idle, throttle response, quietness, everything is an improvement. I had no idea that an air separator with a boost pump would make so much difference. It's been a job for this disabled old guy, but it's been worth it.

Many thanks to Maryland dieselnick, stockknocker, bork, and a few others that helped me through this; especially Stock, who has posted detailed information all through this thread. Get ready guys, I'm going to be tackling the rear wheels in about a week; it's going to take me a few days to recover from this escapade; LOL.

·
Premium Member
7,913 Posts
That's great you completed it and are pleased with results.
Have you been regularly running additives Clev? Really need them to clean/keep the fuel system clean and lubricated.
I understand about the physical challenge of this mod. It's good for cuts, scrapes, welts ect.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Way to go, Clev! I knew you could do it. I felt bad that I couldn't just run out there to help you, but my work just after tax return, spring little league, and the front end re-build have had me running like a squirrel on a 4 lane highway! Next time, I hope I can lend a hand. Sometime I'd like to see that cool space shuttle you've built there anyway!
Don't forget to check on that bowl drain cable. I really recommend adding a zip tie and a little bracket with an open hole to thread a small zip tie through to hold it in closed position, but not overly tight. Sometime I may see if there's a way to re-locate the accessible end of cable on the other side of the firewall to remove the tight U-shaped bend in it. I strongly feel that vibration from that thing causes premature wear on drain valve o-rings. All my best!

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Thanks Stock; my offer for your help was sincere, but I had no expectations that you could take me up on it. Most people are wrapped up in their own lives, families, and responsibilities. However, your advice on this thread was invaluable. I have the cable zip tied and keep a check on all fluid leaks by looking under it on the garage floor. Everything's fine; a few days rest and I'll start putting my trailer back together, and then I'll start checking out the rear axle.

61 - 72 of 72 Posts