The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2004 6.0L F250 4X4, 47,000 miles.

Trying to help my hunting buddy.

His truck has developed an extremely easy steering wheel, you can spin it with your finger and it keeps turning the steering wheel. 305/75X16 tires, no suspension work. Steering wheel has almost no feedback.

Pump? or are there other ideas?

Thanks for your help.

· Registered
488 Posts
Ive heard several other people with that issue as well....My 2006 f150 is like that as well...One day the pump started leaking...I refilled the power steering fluid...It stopped leaking, and ever since it has had really really light steering. Im not sure what it is, but its really annoying!

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update

Brian had the power steering pump replaced, that didn't change anything.

I sat in the truck with the engine running, in park, the wheel spins like one of those electric dodgem cars at the carnival. The truck doesn't drift like something was loose, it just as an excessively easy steering wheel effort, no real wheel feedback. No noise either.

Still looking for help, thanks.

· Administrator
25,208 Posts
There's supposed to be feedback generated by the valving, etc in the steering gear. My guess is that something broke inside the steering gearbox.
But it's just a guess.

I found "Feedback" in the symptom chart on the Service Manual, but all the causes seem to be for "excessive feedback", not what you guys are experiencing, which I'd call insufficient feedback.

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
KLHansen,

Is this a replace gearbox only repair, or can anything be done to the gearbox with a couple of good ol boys efforts?

Driving this truck is like using a rheostat for a steering wheel, no effort no feedback, feels dangerous.

Thanks guys, seems like this is headed in a good direction.

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
klhansen,

You were in the right direction.

We replaced the steering gearbox and the steering is back to normal.

This seems to have stumped the majority of responders from multiple places.

klhansen, thanks for the help.

· Registered
2,689 Posts
Ok, now I'm going to ask for those of us who have a hard time turning the wheel, is there a way to adjust that feedback thing in the box to make it give less feedback?

· Administrator
25,208 Posts
klhansen, thanks for the help.
You're welcome. That was just a shot in the dark based on how power steering works in general. Glad that got it fixed for you.

BTBBT,

Unfortunately I don't have any specific knowledge on if the feedback is adjustable by us regular ol guys. I suspect it's a rebuild shop type of thing. I know that some steering boxes use a small shaft that actually twists with the turning action of the wheel to control the valve, so that wouldn't seem to be adjustable.

I checked my service CD and it doesn't get that deep into steering gear service.

· Registered
824 Posts
Ok, now I'm going to ask for those of us who have a hard time turning the wheel, is there a way to adjust that feedback thing in the box to make it give less feedback?
I will bet GCroyl will sell you one cheap...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.