The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 02 with 110,000 miles on looks like new, truck was a California truck and hence has some extra Cali emissions
can anyone enlighten me as what these changes are and if I should remove them
truck was a special ordered lariat, 4.10 rear end, automatic, trans cooler, deep oil pan, deep trans pan
Paid dearly for it but its lived it whole life in a climate controlled building and looks new except for the driver seat leather which I ordered today

·
Super Moderator
25,171 Posts
There are really very few differences between a California truck and a "normal" truck. The biggest is possibly a Glow Plug Controller VS. a relay. Really not enough to worry about.
Sounds like you got a good one.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
I was in California when I got my first truck. It was a 2000 F350. I picked it up in Fallon Nevada to avoid any California emissions, but from what I can remember it was the same as any California truck. So as usual I would have to say Kevin is right!!
DENNY

·
Registered
223 Posts
I think all trucks have California emissions no matter where they sell them. Every state has different emission standards so it would be impossible to please every state . Since California sells so many trucks and cars than California wins out. If the truck is running fine I see no reason to remove the emissions from the truck.

·
Premium Member
3,993 Posts
Other than the GPM replacing the GPR, I can’t think of any difference with the CA trucks. I wasn’t sure about any Cat requirements but found this clarification by Smokey:

California emissions had nothing to do with cats on '99-up 7.3L PSDs. All early '99s had a cat. Nothing assembled after December 1998 with an automatic and a 7.3L PSD had a cat.

All 6.0L PSds have a factory catalytic converter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies, sound like the best thing to do its let it be, truck drives and handles excellent for a 18 year old truck
Planning on doing 3 things, cold air intake, new 4" exhaust front to rear, and if the money holds out a tuner
with OBD2 read outs would love to make it to 15 mpg

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
I didn't do any of that and not towing if I drive 65 I can get close to 20. 75-80 drops it to 13-14 at best and towing at 55-60 drops it to around 12. Speed seems to be the biggest MPG killer, also big tires and lifts don't help much. My fiberglass topper seems to help MPG a little, stops the tailgate from scooping air I guess.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts