The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. New here.
So here is the deal. I bought a 1988 e350 box van with a 7.3 non turbo. Turns out I can't use it because the cost to insure it is unreal due to it being a commercial vehicle. Its a retired FedEx van. It has a reman 7.3 , rebuilt c6, 4 new tires on the rear, new brakes, new alt,new injector pump.
A friend has a 85 f250 gasser. Will my suspension ,I-beams, dually rearend swap over to the f250 from the e350?
thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also on a side note, I'm a first timer.
this is my first time owning a diesel. I want this engine to Last me for a long time.would it be possible to get a list of do and donts. Like what's the best coolants, oils, additives ect. Do I need a pyrom eternal for a non turbo?
again thanks for any help

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
The best fluids are MotorCraft. If you register a vehicle as privately-owned, then it's not a commercial vehicle, regardless how it might have been used by any previous owner.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Measure the frame width between the two. I think the gasser is narrow due to being a SRW. The DRW axle will stick out beyond the F250 fenders. All spring perches have to be changed. Engine mounts won't fit, F250 frame too narrow.

·
Premium Member
9,667 Posts
The best fluids are MotorCraft. If you register a vehicle as privately-owned, then it's not a commercial vehicle, regardless how it might have been used by any previous owner.
Motorcraft is just a name and has nothing to do with the manufacture of fluids. They will send out bids to different companies with their specifications and have the other company manufacture their fluid with the Motorcraft name on it. It is the same for any part out there with the Motorcraft name on it. Motorcraft has no manufacturing plants it is just a name.

The OP said nothing about registering it but that the insurance was too high and that it was considered a commercial vehicle by his insurance company. Not too much you can do with that except to try some other insurance companies. When Ford built the F450 with a pickup bed on it owners were finding out the same thing, their insurance companies rated it as a commercial vehicle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Exactly. Its titlrd as private but the vin shows its high gvwr. No matter though. Im gona gut it and use the parts to build another truck.
So are you saying a gasser frame is different than a diesel frame?

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Motorcraft is just a name and has nothing to do with the manufacture of fluids. They will send out bids to different companies with their specifications...
Yes, I know. The specifications are what matters, and any fluid behind a MC label meets all Ford's specs. That CANNOT be said of other brands, regardless of price. They may attempt to meet some specs, but they don't necessarily meet all. Even if it comes from the same plant as the MC fluid (or part).
Its titlrd as private but the vin shows its high gvwr.
So now you're saying it was never a matter of commercial - it's the GVWR? How will building another heavy truck help you?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
O boy....... by building another truck such as the f250, I can still use all of the parts that I want from the e350 but in a truck that is titled with a lower gvwr and will be more practical to insure.
So anyways, are the ibeams the same in econoline van and ford trucks from the early to mid 80s?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts