The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, I apologize I should do some more searching but I'm to the point where I want to take a hammer to the dash... i spend quite a bit of time on my property fixing fences, gravel driveway, trimming tree branches, livestock, etc. i tend to have the tailgate down, do not click my seat belt, leave the door open, use the emergency brake keep the truck stopped with it in neutral/drive on a hillside, pretty much anything that would cause a chime alert to go off. I'm on my own property & not a meanance to the public. Ford has no idea what a truck is for!! Anyway, what is making me violent is there's no way I can find to shut the things off and they stack on top of one another in the info display! You may have 3 alerts that you have to click okay every damn time you do it. No selection is permenant everything defaults back it the idiots way of life after you shift to drive, turn the key off or whatever. Has ford forgotten what some people use a truck for? I'm at the end of my rope with this, I'm so tired of this product liability game and all the safety features in place to keep nature from taking its course with stupid people.... chime alerts and idiot stickers make as much sense as Braille instructions on drive atm machines.

Is there any way to disable these chime alerts??? Is the noise coming thru all speakers or just one or is it a piezo horn in the dash? Can I disable my backup sensors completely? Key in door open chime? Er brake when the vehicle is in drive?

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
781 Posts
I hear ya, Holbest501.....

On my 1981 and 1986 trucks, you could simply reach up under the dash and unplug the connector on the chime module. Sometime between 1986 and 2001, the chime was relocated to inside one of the computer modules, to prevent you from disconnecting it I assume. I blame this on lawyers and our "sue happy" society.

I'm real tired of listening to this thing upon every start-up while I have to reset the TPMS, and due to my habit of putting the transmission in gear before releasing the E-brake. Are you listening, FORD? This ranks right up there with having to press and hold the traction control button on every start-up to cancel the "Advantrac" portion of the software. :icon_mad::icon_mad:

If anyone's found a solution, please chime in before somebody reaches for a hammer................:nono:

·
Registered
348 Posts
I am fairly certain the chimes can be turned off inside the computer. When I had my settings edited to use LED exterior lights, the tech asked me if I wanted to turn mine off. The caveat is you have to go to a dealer to have it done because it requires a special program and an adapter which connects to the OBD II connector under the dash.

I hope this helps!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Not sure what year truck you have, but here's what I did to disable the seat belt chime on my 2015 F250. At least it will get rid of one annoying chime for you.

·
Registered
131 Posts
On the subject of annoying chimes, is there a way to disable the key chime? (the "you've left your keys in the ignition and the door is open" chime)

·
Premium Member
4,203 Posts
Back up sensors can be turned off. Have people forgotten how to read an owner's manual?? When you complain about something yet have the answers at your finger tips you are the problem.

Reactions: larrgh

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've got the backup sensors but it resets after each drive cycle, the belt minder was disable before I left the dealership. The problem other than it is extremely annoying and interrupts any activity or communication that may be going on at the time. It doesn't give you any grace period to correct the situation before activating the chime (i.e. 5-10 second delay) & the worst part is that the chimes will stack and the slow processor they use can not handle the inputs you provide to shut the chimes up, so you have to slowly use you steering controls to select the OK prompts on the console, when there may be 4 different alerts for which the chime is going sounding for.... at this point I want the chime desoldered or unplugged or deprogrammed, I can take responsiblity for my own actions. The chimes are creating a distraction that is both aggravating and making the use of the truck miserable. I find myself cussing the truck, slamming the doors, yanking the keys out, throwing stuff in the truck bed, and a host of other things I normally would not do. There's an attitude I have now that I've NEVER had with any vehicle, I don't care about the truck.

There's always some things in life that will get under your skin in such a way that others wonder why it gets to you and as illogical as it sounds it just does... I've tried every which way I can but the manner in which I use my truck is not the same in which ford thinks it should be used. It's a very strong diesel, amazing in power and Ford should be proud of the power it puts to the ground, however, whoever designed the chime alerts should be outta of a job. I hope I never meet that person(s), it would be a bad outcome for me in the end.

I'll try going to the dealership and see how many of the alerts I can permanently disable and go from there, obviously I'm at the end of my rope with this issue, wish it didn't get to me as bad as it does but I'll consider selling the truck if I can't fix the annoyance.

Steve

·
Registered
584 Posts
I, too, would like to disable the chimes. On my 1995 F350 I disconnected the chime box. On my 1997 the chime box was integrated on a circuit board and was not able to be disconnected. Sound like there is some sort of remedy since the belt minder on your truck was disabled before you left the dealership.

Let us know what you find out about disabling them all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts