The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I am researching the F350, I figured I should find out if the short bed can do 5th wheel. In the Order guide for the F250 it lists that the 5th wheel base is only on the long bed, but haven't really seen anything on the F350. More than likely it will be on a 15 or 16 Platinum, unless by some miracle a 2017 Plat comes my way with a really good price on it. Just want to make sure that a few years down the road when I go to get my first 5th wheel RV that I would be stuck not being able to tow due to bed length.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
A short bed can work but in order to gain the benefit of a 5th wheels turning radius when backing up, you would need to install a slider hitch if you pan to install the hitch in the proper location. If it's a manual slider, then you will need to remember to use it or risk losing your rear cab window.

Personally, I would suggest you base your decision on how much time the truck will spend in parking lots. If it's mainly used for highway use and pulling, a long bed wins every time in comfort and stability. But I don't have to tell you that, I see from your sig your 99 was a LB.

I have never owned a SB and probably never will but I also usually take the car when I'm going into town shopping... a 172 wheelbase can be a pain in small parking lots.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If a SB works with the proper hitch, then that makes it easier locating the right truck as most are SB that I found. I would love another Dually like I had. I felt like I was back in a big rig when I drove it, but like you said, parking lots are a pain, and parking garages, forgetaboutit! Of course even a SB SRW can be a pain in garages. Thankfully my garage is large enough for a Dually Screw LB with room to spare.

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
A slider hitch will make a short bed work just fine.
DENNY

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Revisiting this thread now that I found the right truck, right in that the price was right and it is in very good shape, and we like it. It is a SB, and has a CURT Q20 installed already. I don't know what they towed with it, but no dents in the cab. Is there a specific way I should take measurements for when I research trailers? If I can make the existing hitch work with a trailer we like, great, otherwise I can look into replacing it with a slider instead. I would prefer not to if I don't have to.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Some 5th wheels have pin boxes that jut forward quite a bit, which might negate the need for a slide hitch. That was the case for my last one that I sold about 4 years ago. I had a slider that I never used...the pin was almost a foot in front of the trailer front panel, IIRC.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have a 15 SB and pull a 32' Montana. I have a B&W companion hitch without a slider works fine. I never found a need for a slider. I have towed my 5th wheel over 30,000 miles so far without a issue. I have mine one hole back from the forward most hole and as low as I could get it. I could move the hitch back one more hole if I need to but so far we are golden.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. I downloaded the manual for the Q20 so that I have it when shopping.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Some 5th wheels have pin boxes that jut forward quite a bit, which might negate the need for a slide hitch. That was the case for my last one that I sold about 4 years ago. I had a slider that I never used...the pin was almost a foot in front of the trailer front panel, IIRC.
Some fifth wheel RVs, Heartland products particularly, have a curved front cap that allows an angle of nearly 90 degrees without the front of the trailer getting near the cab of a truck with a short bed & no need for a slider hitch. Having towed 5th wheels for many years, I can’t imagine ever needing to get to an angle like that. You might want to wait & see if your eventual 5th wheel has such a front cap before you just bail off & buy a slider hitch that you don’t need.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts