The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have 52k miles on my f350 srw 4x4 diesel, truck has stock continentals 18". I am looking to change them out before the winter hits in New ENgland, i would like something with a little more tread, but dont want to compromise the ride too much as most of my time is on the highway.

ANybody have any suggestions? I was looking at Michelin, but at almost $300 each thats going to be a hefty bill when done.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I got a set of the Hankook Dynapros and i love them. Huge difference in traction and almost no road noise. I've put about 3000 miles on them with zero issues. 08 f350 srw cc

·
Registered
29 Posts
Was also going to highly recommend the Dynapros. I have about 8,000 on mine and love them!

·
Registered
540 Posts
I have the michelin LTX M/S on my 03 16", and went with 285 over the stock 265. They don't have an aggressive look to them in case you're not familiar, but they dig into the snow much better than the Bridgestone duelers I had on before. Plus, they are a smooth highway tire, and high mileage too. The downside, is indeed, that they are pricey.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
in my opinion I think its tough to beat the winter traction and tread wear of a BFG all terrain...Quiet, Great Traction, and Wear really well. My current set on the '97 has 80k miles and could go another 7k at least (315/75/16)

·
Registered
231 Posts
Was also going to highly recommend the Dynapros. I have about 8,000 on mine and love them!

hands down the best tire out there for the price. I have 40k on mine with half tread left and no noise. great tire. so I should get 80k out of them. I will be replacing them with the same in another year or so. great on and off road tire for snow and rain.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Another vote for the BFG All Terrains. They are the best ice/snow tire I have used and they last fairly well.

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
I've had the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor tires for 30,000 miles. They've worn well and provide good traction in ice and snow.

·
Registered
24 Posts
You wont be sorry if you go with the BFG All Terrains, great traction,wear,and ride a very good all around tire. Make sure you get the (E) rated tire if your putting them on a F-350.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wow...lot of responses and i was so close to getting the michelins. Now after reading the responses i am looking at the BFG's again, although i am still concerned about the ride and road noise with them.

I dont knwo much about the hankook's, my buddy's f150 came with them and he has had good luck, but they are p rarted tires. So i am not sure how a LT would differ in that brand.

·
Registered
231 Posts
wow...lot of responses and i was so close to getting the michelins. Now after reading the responses i am looking at the BFG's again, although i am still concerned about the ride and road noise with them.

I dont knwo much about the hankook's, my buddy's f150 came with them and he has had good luck, but they are p rarted tires. So i am not sure how a LT would differ in that brand.
i run the 235 85 16 LT's and they are a 10ply tire. Like I said in my prevous post I should get 80k out of them. They are still quiet and have great traction. Do you research and you will see how well these rate alot better than the BFG's. I was able to get discount tire to price match from the internet and got all 6 for my dually for 850.00 installed mount and balanced. I will replace with the same once needed.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the prices i have gotten for Hankooks were $270 each, BFg being $234 each.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
stock size is 275/70 r18, i dont want anything bigger. The size does seem to be the price issue.

·
Registered
361 Posts
The Michelin LTX M/S2 can be bought online for the same price as the other tires, around 225/each. But by the time you ship and install might as well buy local. I have a quote of 1150 installed with lifetime rotation and road hazard through my local guy.
Can't make up my mind to install new tires or buy new truck!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Had Pirelli Scorpions on the 00 Super Duty and loved them in all weather conditions. Got rid of the Continentals on the 08 when I bought new rims. Ended up going with Toyo MT's and they run through snow and slush like driving on dry pavement... Continentals wouldn't even hold the road in heavy rain in Ohio...

·
Registered
266 Posts
I've had the dynapros on a F150 in a load range C and they were great and i've used a couple sets of Cooper ATRs in load range C on F150s and love them. Seem to wear good not noisy and stick to ice snow and mud like glue while still holding up to lots of driving on gravel roads and stubble fields. I haven't decided between the two which is going on my 10F350 this winter. After rolling my 08F250 last winter I won't trust the continentals in the winter.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I currently have 52k miles on my f350 srw 4x4 diesel, truck has stock continentals 18". I am looking to change them out before the winter hits in New ENgland, i would like something with a little more tread, but dont want to compromise the ride too much as most of my time is on the highway.

ANybody have any suggestions? I was looking at Michelin, but at almost $300 each thats going to be a hefty bill when done.
Get the Michelin tires they're the best and in the end you will get your price difference out of them.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Whatever you do get, do not get Kumho Cruzen HT51. This tire is a decent snow tire with a good tread life. It also has very stiff sidewalls which will give a harsh ride even when loaded. I have these on the back of my '08 350 DRW; I barely pull heavy enough to make them behave.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts