The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning, newbie here so please bear with me. I am looking to purchase a new F-450 6.7L Diesel V8 to haul our car wash equipment to customer locations in the Midwest. I am looking to haul a low profile gooseneck trailer that would max weight be 15,000 lbs. Payload on the truck when hauling a trailer would max be 2,000 lbs, but max 8,000 when not towing. Most of our driving is open road highway from Chicago outbound. We do however take infrequent trips to Atlanta, which would go through the mountains. This truck would be carrying a load +90% of the time. I would rather hear from experienced drivers than a couple Salesman who don't seem to grasp what I'm asking. Thank you for any help.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Good Morning, newbie here so please bear with me. I am looking to purchase a new F-450 6.7L Diesel V8 to haul our car wash equipment to customer locations in the Midwest. I am looking to haul a low profile gooseneck trailer that would max weight be 15,000 lbs. Payload on the truck when hauling a trailer would max be 2,000 lbs, but max 8,000 when not towing. Most of our driving is open road highway from Chicago outbound. We do however take infrequent trips to Atlanta, which would go through the mountains. This truck would be carrying a load +90% of the time. I would rather hear from experienced drivers than a couple Salesman who don't seem to grasp what I'm asking. Thank you for any help.
I'm not a salesman and I don't know what you're asking because you didn't ask anything!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess I did forget the question didn't I? Between highway driving, city driving, and going through mountains, I want to make sure we select the proper axle ratio that won't have the engine revving and the truck going no where. I understand the we fall within the weight range for both the 4.1 & 4.3 axle ratio, but which is best for an almost full capacity with the diverse terrain we will encounter?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,019 Posts
If you had the 4.10 ratio and the engine was turning 2000 RPM at a certain speed it would have been turning 2,097 RPM with the 4.30 ratio. Those two ratios are so close it really doesn't matter which one you get.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
FWIW the 3.73 ratio in a f-350 will handle what your wanting to do, no sweat.. I dont see the need for a f-450 in your situation, unless you are just really wanting one, or want a cushion from a legal standpoint.. The weight you speak of, is a light day for what i do with my f-350's, and they do it with zero issues.. Again this is just a FWIW comment! As for the ratio of the F-450, as i recall a 4.10 and 4.30 was an option on the cab and chassis, 4.30 was pickup only ratio.. Very stupid if you ask me, the customer should have a choice.. I have 3 trucks in the f-450 class[2 are f-450's], 4.30,4.63 and 4.88's are the ratio's.. I hate the 4.88.. The 4.63 isnt too bad, but the 4.30 ratio is just about on target for what i use the truck for.. This being said, for the chore you list your truck as doing, i would go the 4.10 ratio, it will give an edge in the rpm's on the highway.. If a 4.30 ratio is all you can find, or you decide it's more fitting, go that way.. With the 4.30 it would be easier to simply bump up to the next tire size over the stock rubber.. I did this on my 4.30 truck, it got my rpms very close to what a 4.10 ratio in my -f350 gets me.. Just a thought..

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
F350 will handle what you need all day long.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you for posting about the order guide, that was a big help. Thank you again for all the replies and input. This forum is very helpful and informative.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I haul 24,000 with 3500 pin. I do not have a cab and chassis so I have the 4:30 ratio. I get 9-10 hauling and 16-17 empty no trailer. I would not get the 4:10 it will not make much difference at all. The 4:30 is great on hills truck does not have to work hard at all. Like it has been said before you could be OK with the 350 due to what you are hauling in weight. If you get the 350 make sure you get the wide track frontend. It turns 8ft shorter than the regular front end. The 450 come with that standard. Great for maneuvering.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
As i recall when ordering mine, the wide track f-350 ment 4.30 ratio only.. A 4.30 ratio with stock 17'' rubber means a bit higher rpms, as opposed to a f-450 with 4.30 ratio, which will equal about 3 to 4mph.. The 19.5 tires on the f-450 help some with the ratio issue, and get the rpm's down a bit.. Very easy to go up to the next tire size on the 19.5 tires and get the rpm's down even more.. IMHO, ford needs to offer the 4.10 ratio in the pickup line also, instead of just the cab and chassis.. Havin said this, the 3.73 that was in my 11' and now my 15' f-350, does very well.. Trailer weight's in the 25,000lb range are a routine for this truck..Having a 4.10 option would only make it even better for what i do.. This includes a fair amount of highway miles, back roads with speeds below 55mph, inner city stop and go, and quite a few hills in the mix of all of it.. The 3.73 does a fine job, the 4.10 option would be better, the 4.30 would be the way to go when heavy loaded on a routine basis.. bhoss makes a good point with mpgs.. On a vehicle loaded all the time, a lower gear ration can give an edge over higher gears, as the truck is not working quite as hard.. Another thing to consider with the f-450, 19.5 tires have advantages and negatives, a different subject..

·
Registered
584 Posts
As i recall when ordering mine, the wide track f-350 ment 4.30 ratio only.. A 4.30 ratio with stock 17'' rubber means a bit higher rpms, as opposed to a f-450 with 4.30 ratio, which will equal about 3 to 4mph.. The 19.5 tires on the f-450 help some with the ratio issue, and get the rpm's down a bit.. Very easy to go up to the next tire size on the 19.5 tires and get the rpm's down even more.. IMHO, ford needs to offer the 4.10 ratio in the pickup line also, instead of just the cab and chassis.. Havin said this, the 3.73 that was in my 11' and now my 15' f-350, does very well.. Trailer weight's in the 25,000lb range are a routine for this truck..Having a 4.10 option would only make it even better for what i do.. This includes a fair amount of highway miles, back roads with speeds below 55mph, inner city stop and go, and quite a few hills in the mix of all of it.. The 3.73 does a fine job, the 4.10 option would be better, the 4.30 would be the way to go when heavy loaded on a routine basis.. bhoss makes a good point with mpgs.. On a vehicle loaded all the time, a lower gear ration can give an edge over higher gears, as the truck is not working quite as hard.. Another thing to consider with the f-450, 19.5 tires have advantages and negatives, a different subject..
Is there a thread already about the "different subject?" - i.e. 19.5 tires?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts