The Diesel Stop banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts
What a pile of crap this 450 thing is. A vehicle with safer capability to maneuver in bad situations and to stop it if the trailer brakes were to become inoperative, resulting far less exposure to them, should cost more to insure. BULL****
I have a 2006 F450 with hauler bed and it has been desprung (to make it ride WAY better) and I have paid the higher premiums for 10+ years. I did find out that commercial policies cover the collision damage on towed unit where personal policies only cover liabilty of anything a towed unit damages. My extra premiums were more than made up for by the payout on a trailer that went off a big drop off shoulder.

No problem with USAA

I bought my F450 King Ranch 2 months ago. Wife called USAA to insure it with all of the other toys. The guy on the other end did say hold on for a couple minutes, but came back and said no problem. Our card shows USAA. There never was any discussion ref the 14K like others have stated. HappyHappy......

So, I just received my 2019 F450. On a whim, I called USAA to swap the 450 for the 350. Gave the girl the VIN and she read back that it was a 450. She asked if I was using it commercially and if I wanted the exact same coverage and I said yes. The next words from her were "that'll be $28 more every six months, is there anything else you need?"

Evidently, since my experience in 2013, USAA has figured out that this is not the C&C truck. Very happy and with that in mind, there is zero reason not to get the F450. You lose the TPMS, but the turning radius is a game changer. I lived with that for a year with the 350 and hated it every time I needed to maneuver in tight spaces.

Reactions: Phillippeterson
So, I just received my 2019 F450. On a whim, I called USAA to swap the 450 for the 350. Gave the girl the VIN and she read back that it was a 450. She asked if I was using it commercially and if I wanted the exact same coverage and I said yes. The next words from her were "that'll be $28 more every six months, is there anything else you need?"

Evidently, since my experience in 2013, USAA has figured out that this is not the C&C truck. Very happy and with that in mind, there is zero reason not to get the F450. You lose the TPMS, but the turning radius is a game changer. I lived with that for a year with the 350 and hated it every time I needed to maneuver in tight spaces.
There was no difference is quotes from State Farm. Both vehicles are 14,000 pounds.

And, yes, the F450 turning radius and larger brakes are worth getting the F450.

There may be differences they see in pickup bed 450 models now and have taken them to the 350 rate. It is about time.

We are looking to change our RV. If we stick with a 5th wheel we are going to need a bigger truck and if we go to a motorhome this is a mute point. I drove a 450 over the weekend and was surprised how much I really liked it.

The turning radius was great, being able to maneuver a trailer would be a ton better than a 350.

4:30 gears don't bother me since the tires are so much taller than the 350's are.

I think they have bigger brakes than a 350. Not positive

I have heard there is a speed limiter? Cost of commercial tires? Taxes and registration is different?

Some additional insight would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
The speed limiter is only on cab and chassis models, as they are likely commercial

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.