The Diesel Stop banner

F450 Good, Bad and the Ugly

42K views 26 replies 17 participants last post by  benz97 
#1 ·
We are looking to change our RV. If we stick with a 5th wheel we are going to need a bigger truck and if we go to a motorhome this is a mute point. I drove a 450 over the weekend and was surprised how much I really liked it.

The turning radius was great, being able to maneuver a trailer would be a ton better than a 350.

4:30 gears don't bother me since the tires are so much taller than the 350's are.

I think they have bigger brakes than a 350. Not positive

I have heard there is a speed limiter? Cost of commercial tires? Taxes and registration is different?

Some additional insight would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

#2 ·
The turning radius is awesome. It's better than on our F150.

Yes, the brakes are bigger front and back by about an inch. And they work beautifully. Also, the F350 brakes are pneumatically assisted. The F450 brakes are hydraulically assisted. A big difference in performance and feedback.

The 4.30 gearing is great. Our F450 can accelerate from zero ( or, say, 20 mph) up a mountain to pass those other RVs with no problem.

If there's a speed limiter we haven't hit that speed. We live about a mile from a highway with an 85 mph limit. I think the tires are rated to 86 mph.

We looked at everything from 45 foot motorhomes to travel trailers and chose the F450 to carry a very large truck camper. Absolutely love the freedom to go where trailers never dare.

#3 ·
my old '08 F-450 had a limiter at 85. I've had this truck, briefly, up to 90 and experienced no limiter (wouldn't want to drive that speed any length of time).

#5 · (Edited)
I have been faster than the earlier 450s would go, but don't think it should be a habit--too much weight/momentum should something go wrong. Basically feels much better at 65-70.
I have found the shorter turn radius of great help when backing into a campsite, and making u-turns from a left-turn lane into the 2 opposite lanes--can clear the curbs w/o backing up.

#6 ·
No speed limiter on the new F450 pickup.

A lot of insurance companies won't insure the trucks as they consider it commercial and do not understand or care to understand that is is a pickup. State Farm will insure the trucks and seem to understand what they are. It is a bit more expensive, but not much more than a 350 with them (~$300/yr). However, I saved closer to $800/yr switching back to the 350 and back to USAA (they wouldn't insure the 450).

Registration differences will need to be addressed by someone from your particular state. For me, it's weight based, I get 30,000 lb Farm plates, and it doesn't matter if those are on a F350 or F450.

Finally, I truly miss the wide-track front end on the 450, but the GVWR on the 2014 F450 and the 2017 F350 are both 14K. Additionally, the GCWR is SO high for both trucks, that the 450 doesn't gain me anything in capacity. I just don't tend to tow much more than 25K.

http://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/Ford_Linc_17RVTTgde_r3_Oct19.pdf

#7 ·
The F350 does have hydraulic assist brakes. I am 99% sure all new super duty's have a 92MPH speed limiter. I know my F350 does.

#8 ·
Interesting I was able to insure my F450 through USAA no problem. Geico also did it, where several others wanted to go commercial. Perhaps it also depends on state - here in Oregon licensing a 450 is the same as a compact sedan.

I believe the current 450s are speed limited to 87mph to match the tires. The 19.5" tires definitely have their pros and cons. They look really good, handle extra weight without a problem, and from what I understand last a long time. Down side is they ride stiffer when empty and don't seem to grip the road like a 17" BFG will. Your tire options are also more limited, especially if you want to stick with an 87 mph speed rating (most top out at 75). In looking for a good all weather tire (stock HSRs are highway fuel conscious tires and don't have the M&S rating) I settled on the new Continental Scandinivia HD3. But they are on national back order so only I way I will be getting them is to order online and ship across the US. I'll give them a test this winter. I am comparing them to BFG AT K02s of my last truck so might not be a fair match up! If your towing heavy though I think the 19.5s would definitely be worth the trade off and for me the wide track axle is a must have!

#15 ·
Interesting I was able to insure my F450 through USAA no problem. Geico also did it, where several others wanted to go commercial. Perhaps it also depends on state - here in Oregon licensing a 450 is the same as a compact sedan.
DKR, Like Sportscraft we insured our 2009 F450 through USAA who sent us to Progressive for insurance. Our 2009 GVWR was 14,500 lbs. As the 2017 (and the 2018?) F450 pickup GVWR is 14,000 lbs, you may not have an issue with insurance. The F450 does have larger brakes from the F350 (which we now have.) We sold our F450 at 158,000 miles and it still had the original brake shoes on it. If you were OK with the ride and handling of the commercial tires during your test drive, I wouldn't let the fact that it has commercial tires stop you from a F450.

Have fun deciding! David

Difference I'm talking about is that USAA doesn't insure it directly. They send you to a third party. Generally, you can find much better rates than what happens when you get handed off like that. So, while you both TALKED to USAA, you aren't insured with USAA. They do the same thing with motorcycles and that is why I won't go that route. Progressive gives you a great first year rate and then starts raising rates, sometimes a lot.

#9 ·
DKR, Like Sportscraft we insured our 2009 F450 through USAA who sent us to Progressive for insurance. Our 2009 GVWR was 14,500 lbs. As the 2017 (and the 2018?) F450 pickup GVWR is 14,000 lbs, you may not have an issue with insurance. The F450 does have larger brakes from the F350 (which we now have.) We sold our F450 at 158,000 miles and it still had the original brake shoes on it. If you were OK with the ride and handling of the commercial tires during your test drive, I wouldn't let the fact that it has commercial tires stop you from a F450.

Truth in advertising: We're not truck people. We chose a F350 over a F450 when we purchased in 2017 and specifically chose the F350 looking for a better ride. We ordered our F350 set up to pull a potential 20-22,000 lb GVW of any future 5th wheel. We miss the brakes, but the exhaust brake makes up for that. Turning radius only affects us when I forget and park it thinking I still have the turning radius of our 2009 F450.

Have fun deciding! David

#10 ·
I know this thread is older but wanted to post a recent insurance experience trying to get an 18 F450 insured. I use USAA and went to their online quote site. Input the VIN and I had no issues getting a quote. As I wanted to finalize the deal I called them. Provided the VIN and as we worked through the process the lady mentioned they dont see many F450s and wanted to know the GVWR. When I told her it was 14000 pounds there was an immediate please hold. When she came back I was told I'd need to talk to progressive. Apparently anything equal to or over 14000 pounds sets off a red flag. I explained it was for personal use only etc but the GVWR is the kicker. Anyway, just thought I'd share a recent experience. I guess I'll be working through progressive. Hopefully the rates are reasonable.

#11 ·
When I had an f450 what triggered the commercial insurance according to my insurance writer at the time was the unladen weight of over 8000 pounds. My f350 dually has a gvwr of 14000 pounds and less than 7500 pounds of unladen weight, and I don't need commercial insurance anymore.

#12 ·
I recently traded my 2014 f350 and got the 2017 f450. Towing between both wasn’t a big difference. But the turning radius is what I wanted. And the first trip out with the new truck and 44ft RV ensured I was glad I got it. Insurance went up by 150.00 for the year. Thru progressive. I did have to inform them that the truck wasn’t being used for commercial use. Also my RV is insured thru them also, so it helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#13 ·
When we checked with our current insurance company (Hartford) we discovered they only insure up to a F350.

For those of you that have, who do you recommend for insurance?

#17 ·
In 2008 when I purchased a used 2006 F450 Stake bed Crew Cab truck (16,000 GVWr / 8,250 Curb weight) I had to get a commercial insurance policy. My insurance company at the time was Mercury. I purchased a separate commercial policy through Mercury (it was good in Mexico, the US, and Canada). Even though the truck was for personal use, because it wasn't a pickup, I had to carry a log book and stop at weigh stations. When the California Air Resources Board (CARB) sent me a nasty notice saying I had to change the exhaust system to meet 2010 emissions standards before 2012, I took the opportunity to get rid of the truck and got a new 2011 F350 crew cab short bed pickup.

After I retired I needed a dually to haul equipment between two pieces of property I own at least every other week, so in 2015, I traded in the 2011 and purchased a 2016 F350 dually crew cab long bed pickup. Now I don't need commercial insurance, and it has the same GVWR as the same year F450 pickup (both 14,000 GVWr). I don't have the same tight turning radius as the F450, so I might have to back up to complete a turn.

Reactions: benz97
#14 ·
After being hassled by TX Farm Bureau, and they would not insure my fiver--too big--I put my truck/MKX and Suites with Good Sam's National General insurance. They accepted all the vehicles without question and the cost was competitive with what I had with separate vehicles and fiver. Had one claim with GS/NG and they settled using pics and estimate of damage on trailer, no questions. Then paid the hidden damage charge also.
Until they raise rates, guess I'll stay with them. Don't qualify for USAA. And now am full-time, a lot of ins cos don't understand the lifestyle---need a formal garage address to function for them.

#21 ·
What a pile of crap this 450 thing is. A vehicle with safer capability to maneuver in bad situations and to stop it if the trailer brakes were to become inoperative, resulting far less exposure to them, should cost more to insure. BULL****
I have a 2006 F450 with hauler bed and it has been desprung (to make it ride WAY better) and I have paid the higher premiums for 10+ years. I did find out that commercial policies cover the collision damage on towed unit where personal policies only cover liabilty of anything a towed unit damages. My extra premiums were more than made up for by the payout on a trailer that went off a big drop off shoulder.

#22 ·
No problem with USAA

I bought my F450 King Ranch 2 months ago. Wife called USAA to insure it with all of the other toys. The guy on the other end did say hold on for a couple minutes, but came back and said no problem. Our card shows USAA. There never was any discussion ref the 14K like others have stated. HappyHappy......

#23 ·
So, I just received my 2019 F450. On a whim, I called USAA to swap the 450 for the 350. Gave the girl the VIN and she read back that it was a 450. She asked if I was using it commercially and if I wanted the exact same coverage and I said yes. The next words from her were "that'll be $28 more every six months, is there anything else you need?"

Evidently, since my experience in 2013, USAA has figured out that this is not the C&C truck. Very happy and with that in mind, there is zero reason not to get the F450. You lose the TPMS, but the turning radius is a game changer. I lived with that for a year with the 350 and hated it every time I needed to maneuver in tight spaces.

Reactions: Phillippeterson
#25 ·
There may be differences they see in pickup bed 450 models now and have taken them to the 350 rate. It is about time.

#26 ·
We are looking to change our RV. If we stick with a 5th wheel we are going to need a bigger truck and if we go to a motorhome this is a mute point. I drove a 450 over the weekend and was surprised how much I really liked it.

The turning radius was great, being able to maneuver a trailer would be a ton better than a 350.

4:30 gears don't bother me since the tires are so much taller than the 350's are.

I think they have bigger brakes than a 350. Not positive

I have heard there is a speed limiter? Cost of commercial tires? Taxes and registration is different?

Some additional insight would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
The speed limiter is only on cab and chassis models, as they are likely commercial

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.