The Diesel Stop banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just out of curiosity, which floorplan are you ordering from XLR? I've got the 395AMP but like most of what they build. Here's mine painted to match my Ford.

Reactions: hoseclamp

·
Banned
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am a huge fan... All brands have issues when new but it's how the manufacturer treats you after the sale that makes the difference. XLR is been outstanding to deal with. If you have any specific questions please feel free to PM me anytime. If you are looking for a dealer and willing to travel, I can't say enough about Couch's RV Nation in OH. Low pressure and great pricing on a special ordered unit. Over 35% off the nonsense MSRP. Saved me $9500 off the best my closest dealer could do. They too have been great after the sale...

·
Registered
176 Posts
Great looking combo!!! I've been thinking 415 or 425, but they're too short for a maverick max. Need king bed too. New 365 model has outside kitchen, a first for a toy hauler! Might end up with a traditional 5th wheel with bunks for the kids, still shopping around. Getting updates at RV trade show in Kentucky on the new models, so I'll have something ordered in the new year in sure.

·
Banned
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks much! Garage length is why we went with the 395. I wanted a large garage but also wanted the loft bunk for our daughter. 16' and up garages loose the loft. I've found 14' can fit any combo of toys I want. The Spyder and Harley. Harley and golf cart. Two full size ATV's. Full size PWC on it's trailer. Etc. It can also still fit those combos with the washer dryer combo in the garage and my Weber Q grill on it's stand. Another thing besides the potential washer dryer in the garage that people often forget is the addition of the ramp patio and three season door option that both cost garage depth.

Another thing XLR just went to is the max clearance dinette. Now the lower dinette bunk/dinette seating can either roll flat and raise straight up as before but also drop down to the sides costing a little width but giving additional height for taller SXS's and lifted golf carts....

Last thing I like about XLR is they will do off list options if they don't involve too much slowing down of the line. I had them install an exterior LP quick connect for my grill, put a fantastic fan over the loft bunk, add electric rear stabilizer jacks all the way in rear to supplement the level up system, and upgrade my rear deck awning from manual to electric. (Electric is now standard...) Oh, and the paint. They do make you do their pattern but you can choose any colors you like. I eliminated the third color and changed the silver to Ford's Ingot Silver and the grey to Ford's Magnetic.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I had the tire shop bring in three options, need a dedicated winter tire, slim pickings with a 19.5. On the left is the new continental Scandinavia hd3', the middle is toyo m920a, and the Michelin xds2. The Michelin is avail in 12 and 14 ply, but 75mph rated. The others are 14 ply, 87mph rated. He continental is a bit disappointing, hard tread, siping not as deep as you'd think, longest lasting tire I'm sure, will need a heavy load for a good footprint. The Michelin should flex better and give a better ride bring 12 ply, maybe just fully sipe the outer edges. Don't want to end up hating the summer tires being 14 ply, I'm sure the ride would be noticeable. the toyo is he softest tread compound. I'm probly doing the toyo, and throw it in the siping machine. I have a plate for the bed, it's about 1,600lbs for weight and traction, 1"x4'x8' with a 16"X1" header so it won't cut the cab in half if I'm rear ended, adding a full 1/2" sheet will bump it to 2,200lbs of bed weight. Should make some good traction. That and steel wheels with simulators for the winter, Oem alums don't look pretty here by the spring with the sanding and salt. Heck even three choices is too much lol.

Attachments

·
Banned
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm just going to leave the XDS2's on year round, craigslist the Conti's, and hope for the best.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Nice, that should be descent, many do that here with the xds2, some keep a pair of XRV or XZE tires for steering, makes a bit quieter running and apparently less of a "buzz" in the wheel during the summer season. I hope the continentals that come with this thing will be descent for the summer. They don't look like much though.

·
Banned
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm sure there will be a downside. I just wish someone would make a 20" ten lug wheel....

·
Banned
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They must be special order only? I looked at their direct bolt on offerings on their website and all were either 19.5 10 lug or 20" 8 lug. Maybe I'll email them and see what's available. I bet the cost will be crazy nuts though and their style is a little more flashy than I like.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I checked with American Force, their 20" wheels are smaller inside, won't clear the calipers.

·
Banned
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, that answers that. Back to the XDS2's...

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Ah that's good to know thanks. I checked with them way back but that was before 20"s so just assume they'd be the same, but didn't think about break issues. Although the 19.5s fit, so it just be the 8" wide part that causes the problems. The 20" option was my ace in the hole if the 19.5s didn't cut it, but guess I'll be looking at the xds2 also!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
176 Posts
I really wanted to run a 20" wheel and a nokian Hak LT2's for the winter, awesome 10 ply, studded, was on the fence over a 350 or 450 for quite a while over this. We are going to try studding the Michelin, might be enough rubber to hold a stud on the outer blocks, in a 12 ply might get enough casing flex for descent traction. AF makes 22's that will fit, there's quite a few 22" options in 8 and 10ply options, might ride better, maybe not with that much wheel. Not really the look I'm after anyway, curbs and pot holes love to eat big wheels, don't want that hassle either. The wife's G class MB came with 21" wheels, haven't wrecked a wheel but I've gone through a set of wrecked $500/tire pirellis. Ouch. Haven't read much good about the stock continentals, apparently they get noisy early on and need steady rotation to fight cupping and strange wear. Might do a 12ply next summer too if that's the case.

·
Banned
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have to call Michelin and ask them about the XDS2's "limited steer axle" rating. I read guys who run Rickson wheels on SRW trucks run them up front and say they settle down after a bit. I'm hoping that's the case.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Xds2's are on the steering axle everywhere up here, summer and winter, the only down side I'm told is it can be a bit noisy with 6 "lug" tires and a bit of a buzzing feel in the wheel, some comment on it, most do not.

·
Banned
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good to know! I really appreciate it. The only downfall I've read about is the wandering until they are broken in. I guess it's just a touch more than the average steer axle only tire.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Agree thanks for all the good info / tire options! I agree I think the 19.5/20's are the perfect proportion on these trucks.

So I guess then going back to original question for anyone concerned with having the most wheel / tire options then the 350 tow boss might be the way to go. Other wise the f450 is one heck of a beast!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Banned
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I just heard back from American Force. While as hoseclamp posted, their 20"s won't fit a 450 due to brake clearance, their 22's will fit perfectly and allow you to run a low profile 285/50R22 AT tire. They recommend the Nitto Terra Grappler G2 in that size. I run them on my wife's Durango and have been very pleased with their winter performance so far. They also said they can make any of their wheels that are in the "adapter required" as a 22" direct fit so there are more options than I thought.

That said, it will probably will price me out once I figure the total but just wanted to let you guys know that AT tires can be done on a 450 albeit at a high cost and loosing 6k in tire capacity. If I was going to loose that much in capacity, I'd likely get a 350 DRW with AT tires from Ford and save huge money....

Back to the XDS2's I guess... again...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.