The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am sure my turbo is toast. What side does it normally leak oil to. I believe its leaking to the exhaust side on mine.
It started getting weak very little to no boost and now I smell oil from the stack. After I shut it down there is a faint white smoke stream coming out of the pipe. I haven't really seen a big oil loss but I am pretty sure its oil burning. I let it warm up this morning and the cab was full of the smell of burnt oil. The wind was blowing to where it would have gone over the cab but i haven't ever had it smell so heavy of oil.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thank you JPC

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have a Brand new Garrett38r to replace the old turbo. Just wondering if you would have any ideas for any additional problems.
Thank you
JPC

·
Registered
240 Posts
The smoke is oil going through the seal and into the exhaust. It is your engine lube disappearing; don't wait for it to fail completely

Sounds like you are due a turbo replacement or rebuild. This will run $75 on up to ridiculous prices. Max you should need is about $400.

You can buy a replacement GTP38 on ebay for less than $400. You can do a performance rebuild for about the same. You can get ridiculous for a lot more.

Go to YouTube (how do i rebuild my ford 7.3l turbocharger?) and watch the series from PureTurbo.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a brand new Gp38r to install. I just hope the old turbo is where the oil is coming from.
Thank you Jpc

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Any oil in the exhaust is from the turbo.

I would change both sets of pedestal Orings when you swap turbos

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all, I received the turbo on Monday, just went through the box and what I ordered. I got the new GTP38R turbo,new plenum inserts,New plenum t-bolt clamps,New turbo outlet clamp, new up-pipe v clamp,new downpipe v-band clamp, and a re-install kit for the turbo since I used the hold down bolts twice now. The Garrett turbo comes with a variety of o-rings. Not sure what they are for? The instructions don't indicate I need to install any other then at the pedestal. You all have a clue what they are for? And any Idea what the plug on top is for?
I was also wondering ,I checked the new turbo for play and its a bit sloppy. The wheel doesn't come in contact with the housing, but you can move it. Is this normal until it has oil in the bearings?
Thank you for any help
JPC

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
The play in the new turbo is only because it has no oil in the bering so yes its normal

Not sure if you planned to change the pedestal oring but might be a good idea

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you Guys for all the support.
You are all talking about replacing the o-rings under the pedestal and the o-rings between the pedestal and turbo? I just replaced the 0-rings and pedestal a few months ago. I will replace the the o-rings between the new turbo and pedestal. Is there a set of o-rings I am not aware of? I can replace the rings under the pedestal too I guess, but they are new.
Thank you for the help.
JPC

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
If you replaced the block to pedestal Orings already your good!

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Waste Gate Act.

Should I swap the Banks big head or keep the one that came on the new turbo?
Thank you
JPC

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Keep the Big head ? Or keep the one on the turbo?
Thank you
JPC

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
Sorry i mean keep the big head. For what i read, it is a really good aftermarket WG

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
The stock 38r wastegate is better. Just tighten the one on the 38r down a lot. They come set too loose.

Rebuild your old turbo, throw a new ww1 (50 bucks) on and sell it for 300-400 bucks.

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
So the gtp38r stock WG is better than the big head one??????

The review i read was saying it the best thing to add on your 38r.....

But i would go with what blue said compare to what i read.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts