The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking for feedback in what Power Stroke owners are looking for in a tuner. more specifically our tuners. Please give me any and all feedback. positive, negative, anything.

Thank you
Jason

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
To continue our conversation in the closed thread...
2009 6.4 with a PMT running v.1.1.1.3:
While tuned on v.1.1.1.3, I was having issues with power surging both during regens and not. Towing empty was the worst. The surges were drastic, kinda like flipping the power between stock and Extreme continuously. Also, when not towing, the power would cut out at 85 mph and then back in at 90 mph. This happened every time no matter what.
I had all of my defuels turned off, so the only way it could be defueling would be if Ford had some in place and they were overriding the tuner.

Tim sent me v.1.1.1.6 and I loaded it yesterday. So far I have not noticed any surging. I ran it up to 95 mph several times and could not feel and inconsistencies.
That being said, it almost feels like the power has been decreased from the previous version. It still feels strong, just not quite as much as before. It might just be me though. I am going on a longer drive tomorrow. I will let you guys know how it goes. Not really sure when I'm going to tow again though.

The trans seems to shift well with the stock programming. I just wish that the TC Lock could be adjusted a bit higher (like 50-55). It will lock at 35-40 mph sometimes, which feels very premature. This kills the midrange power. You have to stomp it to get it to unlock and then you are going a lot faster than you really wanted. It would be nice if it were like the 6.0's and you could just let off the gas for a second to get it to unlock. It would give you alot more control for passing.

Also, why does the PMT produce so much more bottom end power for the 6.0 than it does for the 6.4, and more top end for the 6.4 than it does for the 6.0?
I could burn off a set of rear tires with my 6.0 in performance mode, but it was slow in the higher gears. My 6.4 is the exact opposite. I can barely spin tires with my 6.4 in performance mode, but in the higher gears, it feels like a rocket.

·
Banned
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I woke up at like 1am this morning thinking about the old butt dyno

ive been running several different tunes lately and on one where it shifted nicely i was thinking it didnt feel like it had the same power. but then dyno tests showed that it did have practically the same power as my other tune.

which made me think that maybe the surging gives you a false scene of acceleration

but dunno.. just throwing ideas out there

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
That is definitely a possibility. The power is definitely sufficient either way too. A few lost HP is a good trade off for the annoying surging it was doing before anyways. This new tune version just seems to work better with the truck. Everything seems smoother. I'm going to go on a 80 mile round trip at lunch. I will post back and let you know how it went.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I have driven quite a bit with the new tunes and haven't had one problem yet! It makes driving my truck much more enjoyable. My hats off to you and Tim. I really appreciate it. This new tune even seems to have more bottom end power like my 6.0 did.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts