The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rebuilt my daily driver 7.3l around 3mo ago and I've got some bugs. It's got swamps 225 hybrids 30% single shots, WW2, manual wastegate, PHP hydra with Swamps tunes, CTS monitor, Mahle pistons, reg. return with 2 micron fuel filter next to oil filter. I think I've built a nice piece. I have bought the AE with the Ford bundle to help with diagnosis. Truck just seems un happy at lower rpms. Runs great at WOT, pulls 39psi of boost.

Questions:
Does the computer use the CTS for fueling the motor or just the Oil temp. New CT sensor, old one was leaking. Not showing temp on dash.

My EBP will stay at 4psi no mater how hard I'm running the motor, and 3psi at around 20* outside temp. I just unpluged it and it stays at 29psi. I cleaned and inspected the tube at rebuild. It's a new sensor, haven't tried my old one yet.

At WOT I've seen the egt hit 1350*. I know on factory pistons they say no more than 1150*, what is the temps I can run the mahle pistons? They are bare, not coated.

Before I bought the injectors I asked Swamps if they would run without a chip and they said yes. I need to take my trans in for warranty at ford and I wanted to pull the chip but it barely idles at best without it. Does this sound right. I noticed on my monitor with the chip on economy it idles at 16%/700psi, without chip it idles 10%/470psi. Are the bigger injectors using more oil?

At idle on economy the motor idles up and down at 100 rpm but if I bump it up to street or hot street it idles perfect. What to look at?

Buzz test sounds perfect and the contribution test shows up #8 and sometimes #3. I've tried 3 different CPS, haven't got the Elkin yet to try.

Not sure if I'm just being paranoid if my tunes are off. I would like to try someone elses but I also want to give swamps a chance to adjust them. I also can't afford to get new ones. All I do is pull my toy hauler about 6 times during the summer, the rest of the time it's just a daily driver. Is not a drag truck. Sorry if I'm confusing I just want a nice running truck. Thanks everyone.

Attachments

·
Registered
998 Posts
Mahle pistons are stock. So you answered your own question there. 1200 all day no problem. Briefly higher but 1300 or more is pushing it. I think failure is around 1450. Your injectors are single shots. Yes is will run in a stock program but the stock sticks are "double shots", so it will run like crap, and if you drive it, it will drive terribly and you risk poor detonation and motor distruction. I know this, because the manufacturer of my new sticks told me to try stock when we were trouble shooting. Drove 2 blocks and had a miss fire and took out that piston. The whole reason I did my rebuild. So yes it will run, but not well, and risky as hell to drive it. If the sticks are Hybrids then they are probably designed to run good on the stock HPOP, but yes they use more oil and like high volume pumps like the Adrenaline or T500. The key is high volume not high pressure, although pressure is important. A weak pump will make those injectors suck. Normal temperature is important with the new sticks. The tuners usually put safety perameters in the tune to protect the motor when its cold and they will restrict your power until it warms up. Mine is stock until about 150, then full power around 180. So if the temp gauge is not working, I could see that tune not being happy. I'm surprised your tuner did not provide you with a stock single shot tune for free like most tuners. If in that tune it will still want temp info, but will have a default setting if you un plug the sensor and run that way. It will us defaults, and since its stock, the protection will be a lot less and you will get better data. Always test on a stock tune. Numbers are messed up in performance tunes making diagnosis a lot more difficult. Stock tune is a single shot tune, not the factory stock.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I really debated on a new HPOP but after testing mine I figured it was ok. I would still like one though. The reason I ask about the coolant temp is because it doesn't seem to show up on my CTS or AE so I figured the computer used the oil temp instead. And the coolant temp sensor just ran the cluster.

Their is a stock tune on the PHP but u have to turn on key, put tuner on 00, turn key off then back on and start truck. It won't go into stock tune from eco,street or any other tunes. And it runs just as bad as if I unplug it.

How much does the EBP effect fueling?

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Their is no parameter on the trucks to read coolant temp. Only the excursions do.

Swamps doesn't list 225/30 injectors. Are you sure their not 200/30?

1250 is the max safe temp to consistently run at.

1300+ degrees should never be more than a few seconds.

You really need more turbo. Your stock turbo is well out of its efficiency range and your egts are higher because of it. Diesel site lists a safe max at 32 psi for the ww2, at 39 psi it will live a much shorter life. You don't want it crapping out in the middle of a hill with your trailer behind you.

Icp is higher at idle to achieve a smoother idle. Hybrids are much different than stock split shots.

I'd venture to guess your 200/30's use less oil or the same compared to the stock split shots due to the 5:1 oil/fuel ratio compared to 7:1 with the stockers. So unless your hpop is failing it should keep up just fine.

Only way to achieve a smooth idle with the chip removed is too send your pcm to php or dp tuner and have it flashed for single shots.

If you want it to run perfect you will need it live tuned. They can get it close when they send you tunes but every truck is different. Also single shots always idle slightly rougher/noisier than split shots.

#3 and #8 always fail with the ford grey cps. The Napa Echlin elininates this but you need chokes on the wiper harness.

·
Registered
998 Posts
ebp is just as important as boost. In fact they should be equal. 10lbs boost equals 10lbs ebp. I think the motor uses the oil temp as my coolant temp was busted for a long time and it made no difference to my running or tunes. Odd your chip wont change. Some thing is up there.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I no longer believe the hype on the hybrids running good on stock pumps. They claim the 5 to 1 ratio and thus use less oil, but by experience, I thought my stock pump was ok too. So just got a new after my original failed shortly after the new injectors. Then the new one failed a year later. Got tired of fixing it all the time so I bucked up and bought an Adrenaline. I got the Adrenaline because my stock pump had good pressure, so I wanted the volume, not more pressure. T500 is a good pressure pump, but volume not so much. Anyway. 100% improvement under all aspects. Better power, better fuel economy, hybrids quieted right down, real smooth, and it really gets up and goes now. Added 5mph to my top end. Which is a lot .

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Big thanks blue99stroker and absolute, this helps alot. I guess my combination is off at the moment. I was really hoping to build a nice camper pulling truck and daily driver. I knew I wanted to upgrade to a gtp38r, I was just thinking I wouldn't have to do it soon. Don't have the funds for it. Now I'm bummed that pulling my toy hauler this summer my EGTs are going to be thru the roof.

Blue99stroker, I remember that their was a 200 and 225 option. Now I look at the swamps sight and it's no longer their and they have added a 200% nozzle to it. But the description for the 225 is now the description for the 200. The box they got shipped to me said 225/30%. I look back the emails when I was chatting with them and I typed 225 hybrids. Now I wonder if they are 200 or 225. Their was a $225 difference between the 2. I bought the 225 because I thought the description fit me the most, so I thought.

How does the EBP effect the computer? Fuel, timming, ect..?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts