The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a CAT 3208 that wouldn't start after running fine the day before. It's in a tractor, White 4-150. Please spare me the boos on the 3208's I know what they are and it just has to be good enough, in a perfect world I'd replace with a 5.9 Cummins, but I need to stay on topic.

1) Did all the fuel filters and primed till fuel bleed out the top of inj. pump and all 8 lines @ injectors until fuel came out (not foamy fuel.)

2) Took kill sol. off and the lever it pushes on is free to move. Pulled flat cover plate off and everything is clean with no rusties just clear fuel. Try to move linkage that connects the right rack to the left, but it feels stuck.
3) So pull intake manifold and governor housing. Governors slide nice as well as the max fuel lever that hits against adjustment screw. Also the arm on the vertical shaft that is lined up right behind the left rack control rod.

I just don't know much about these things. Based on how the shut off must work the rack is stuck in full off position. I would like to get that vertical shaft out through the top of the pump housing to get better access to the arms on the left rack control rod but it only moves a little bit. Any ideas other than take to shop? I just don't have the cash to get rebuilt pump; if there is no fix other than that it'll have to sit for a while.

If you want some photos of the pump here is a site with jpgs of parts manual for the CAT 3208's that I found while trying to study up on it.

Photo: 3208 Parts Manual Pagina 121 | CAT 3208 dieselengine parts manual album | modeltrucks25 | Fotki.com

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
. Based on how the shut off must work the rack is stuck in full off position.
I think you're on the right track. We maintained a fleet of 3208's and I remember that problem coming up fairly often. I'm sorry I'm not more help, it's been way too many years ago for me to recall exactly what we did to fix the problem. If it's helpful at all, I DO remember we'd pull the cover and free up the cruded up lever or whatever was sticking without needing a rebuilt assembly. Seems like the shutdown solenoid pushes a flap (or arm) and whatever is under the arm would be stuck in the no fuel position and we'd free that mechanism up. Sound right to you?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I'm not sure which mechanism your referring to. I'm sorry for linking away, but this drawing saves a thousand words...

http://images105.fotki.com/v451/file7AiY/451ff/1/117425/1644935/3208PartsManual_Pagina_126.jpg

I assume you're talking about lever #8 and "shaft" #26 that might get sticky in housing #10. In my case all of that slides nice and free.

This drawing shows the parts that are stuck on my pump.

Photo: 3208 Parts Manual Pagina 125 | CAT 3208 dieselengine parts manual album | modeltrucks25 | Fotki.com

the shafts, #5 & # 10 will not move, but I'm not sure if it's the shafts or the collars stuck on the pump pistons. What seems wrong to me is that the little pump pistons don't return down with the cam followers, they are held up almost as if the collars that #8 fits into (not shown on the drawing linked to but can be found there on another page) are binding up and keeping them from going down with the cam followers. I just don't know how it's supposed to operate when its apart being looked at so it's hard to find the problem in a bad one when I don't know what a good one looks like.

I hope that's making sense.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello mine is also the same way pumps are stuck the rack should move up to turn fuel on,with the top off I can stick my finger between the cam and roller on the bottom of the pumps.I havent been able to get them unstuck,there is a thread or two on the diesel garage,pretty long.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well, I'm not sure which mechanism your referring to. I'm sorry for linking away, but this drawing saves a thousand words...

http://images105.fotki.com/v451/file7AiY/451ff/1/117425/1644935/3208PartsManual_Pagina_126.jpg

I assume you're talking about lever #8 and "shaft" #26 that might get sticky in housing #10. In my case all of that slides nice and free.

This drawing shows the parts that are stuck on my pump.

Photo: 3208 Parts Manual Pagina 125 | CAT 3208 dieselengine parts manual album | modeltrucks25 | Fotki.com

the shafts, #5 & # 10 will not move, but I'm not sure if it's the shafts or the collars stuck on the pump pistons. What seems wrong to me is that the little pump pistons don't return down with the cam followers, they are held up almost as if the collars that #8 fits into (not shown on the drawing linked to but can be found there on another page) are binding up and keeping them from going down with the cam followers. I just don't know how it's supposed to operate when its apart being looked at so it's hard to find the problem in a bad one when I don't know what a good one looks like.

I hope that's making sense.
I've got exactly the same problem. Have you come up with a solution other than a new Injector pump?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts