The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's probably been said a dozen or more times before on this site, but I've got to say a big thanks to Ed at FICMrepair.com. Really fast turn around time, and he loaded the PHP Atlas 40 program on my FICM. Highly recommended.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You'd have to go to the PHP website to get the specifics, but for my truck I noticed a quicker throttle response and maybe a touch more power. I haven't had a chance to put too many miles on the truck yet, but the feel of the truck is definitely different.

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
PowerHungryPerformance FICM tune.

I just installed it - has good responsiveness, not sure on the fuel economy yet.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Ditto. No more cold start warm up issues. Rockets out of the driveway now. Thanks Ed

·
Registered
9 Posts
Although I have not yet formally tested my FICM with volt meter, my engine shows all the obvious symptoms of a bad FICM.
I've previously discussed this on here & it's been suggested that I send it out to a pro for repair.
That said, I'm an Electrical Engineer by trade, I solder frequently and am very proficient with a reasonable amount of soldering tools available at my disposal. I was really planning on testing it, verifying that it was indeed a bad FICM and repairing it myself, however these tunes sound interesting.
One thing I hate is the spool up time, does this ATLAS 40 really make a huge difference?
I rarely pull anything over 1 ton with my truck, typically it's only what I can fit on my small 5X8 utility trailer, occasionally I'll bum a trailer and haul some wood or what ever up to my cabin in Northern PA, however I'm not coming close to using the full towing ability of my truck.
Is it worth sending it out and having Ed replace components and tune it?
I don't plan on buying a tuner for my truck, it's a grocery getter and I'm not about to drop mega bucks into this (and I don't want to blow it up with a crazy tune), but if I can get a bit more power and make it more fun to drive by sending out the FICM & not sacrifice reliability, I'd consider it.
For the record, it's studded & EGR deleted, those are the main things done to keep it from self destructing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is a difference in my truck, with regards to spool up on the turbo. It does feel a little more lively. Check out Ed's site for specifics on the FICM repair, I opted for the 2 year warranty repair and the tune. I feel it's well worth the $475 spent, considering what Ford wants for a FICM.

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
There is a difference in my truck, with regards to spool up on the turbo. It does feel a little more lively. Check out Ed's site for specifics on the FICM repair, I opted for the 2 year warranty repair and the tune. I feel it's well worth the $475 spent, considering what Ford wants for a FICM.
100% agree! The extra $150 for the tune is worth it.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
An electrical engineer huh? I am a civil and structural engineer with a PHD and I design the largest bridges in the world. If I am low bidder I get to build them. My F250 is a beast and there are 3 things that have added years to my life: my wife, my IPhone and Ed's tuned FICM. What are you waiting for?

·
Registered
42 Posts
An electrical engineer huh? I am a civil and structural engineer with a PHD and I design the largest bridges in the world. If I am low bidder I get to build them. My F250 is a beast and there are 3 things that have added years to my life: my wife, my IPhone and Ed's tuned FICM. What are you waiting for?
With your permission, I'd like to add that last line to my website. So very glad to have helped you, cygnus, and Bismic out!!

Awesome!!

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Go ahead Ed.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Done. Thanks!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ed recently repaired and added the PHP Atlas 40 program to the FICM on my 2004 F-350. I've been driving it about 10 days now, and the overhead mileage calculator went from 14.4 mpg to 16.4 mpg. I also noticed an improvement in turbo lag time. If the mpg improvement is real or close to it then I'll recoup the extra $150 for the program in no time. I definitely recommend Ed and the Atlas 40 program.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently bought an 06 super duty with a 6.0, and I am trying to determine if I have an FICM issue for sure. Mine smokes at start up and up until it gets warmed up. If I give it some throttle durning that time it really smokes a bluish white smoke. Hooked up a scaner and have ocassional drops in FICM voltage, down to 46.3v. Not totally sure thats the true problem. Have good voltage everywhere else and good connections as well. Any information?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I recently bought an 06 super duty with a 6.0, and I am trying to determine if I have an FICM issue for sure. Mine smokes at start up and up until it gets warmed up. If I give it some throttle durning that time it really smokes a bluish white smoke. Hooked up a scaner and have ocassional drops in FICM voltage, down to 46.3v. Not totally sure thats the true problem. Have good voltage everywhere else and good connections as well. Any information?
Did you test the voltage after the truck had been sitting overnight? If not, that's the next step. While those symptoms sure sound like a FICM, the 'when cold' testing procedure is the sure sign.

When the engine is warm, only about a tenth of the amperage draw goes through the module, making it materially easier to put out an acceptable voltage and, of course, providing a false sense of security.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes, I checked it from cold all the way to operating temp, recorded it all, then looked over it. The voltage never dropped below 46.3v, and yeah from all I have been reading the symptoms sure sound like the FICM. Just didn't want to just through $$$ at it and hope!

·
Registered
3 Posts
ed, I will be giving you a call tom. I have been searching a fix for my truck since 2007. and someone just linked me to your site. which linked me to this thread. but any way. I have an 06 that ford flashed for me with 7500 miles on my truck and I lost power and fuel mileage. I hear you will change all this

·
Registered
261 Posts
I could not be happier with mine. I have averaged a full 1 MPG increase since my FICM with atls 40 tune. That's hand calculated over 10,000 miles since the FICM rebuild and close to that many before the FICM rebuild. Not to bad if you ask me. Mine went form 16 mpg's to 17mpg's
Over 10,000 miles that's about $150 savings in diesel.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.