The Diesel Stop banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Just to put a nice cherry on the top of this story...

Truck pulled my 9500# camper from STL to Goshen Indiana and back last week with no issues. Figure about 950 miles total, and nary a single hiccup, burp or even blep. You have no idea what a relief it is. I notice no real diff between the old Black CPS (when it was ok) and the purple one, performance wise. I can only imagine its a few percentage points difference at best.

Now... Got back home yesterday (saturday) put the camper up and hooked up my flatbed to take my mower over to a buddy's house to weld a bracket on. On the way home, started getting whiffs of diesel, and noticed a white haze in the rear-view. Was really close to the house so I figured I would just get it home and see what the issue was.

Turns out that cheap-ass AutoZone fuel filter (that I KNEW better to buy) that I put in just before we left for the rally had the gasket split and it was spraying fuel right at the turbo. As I was running on a 35MPH road with virtually no load on it, I really never got the turbo cooking. I shudder to think what would have happened if it would have let go Saturday with the turbo nice and hot from pulling the camper.

With the vertigo and all the other stuff going on, I didn't have time to get a genuine Motorcraft filter. I figured one time couldn't hurt, right? WRONG! I damn near burnt down my truck, my camper and probably me, the wife and the dog as well. I had Autozone give me another filter, but that's just so I could get the truck and trailer off the street. It ain't moving again till I get a motorcraft.

Tim

·
Registered
324 Posts
Good to know the purple and black CPS seem equivalent from a performance perspective. Thanks for the update.

I have always been worried when putting those fuel filters on that I get the angle of the wedged o-ring correct and that it doesn't bind when tightening down the cap. Make sure you have it smoothed and slickened with some diesel and that you feel around the cap to make sure the threads are all the way down and there is no gap.

I've never gotten one of the filters that comes with its own cap. I assume you did not get one of those either. I think I have heard others warn of using those.

·
Premium Member
3,805 Posts
Seat of the pants is good but 950 miles and no PERDELS, etc seems a little early to draw conclusions.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I thought the Napa Echlin CPS with ferrite chokes on the wiper harness was the next best thing to the factory original black CPS? Is the consensus now the purple it the bestofthebestofthebest or simply because the purple doesn't have the RFI interference from the wipers?

I had a Delhi CPS that held up against EMI from the intermittent wipers until it got older. However, when it failed (not as drastic as when my original FoMoCo black failed) it felt like the torque converter was going out when it started to cause hiccups and misses. Replaced with the Napa Echlin and did the chokes on the wiper harness as it appeared quire susceptible to EMI, or simply that my aging wiper motor was simply generating a lot more RFI in its age. Either way, choked it and it has been good-to-go.

·
Premium Member
3,805 Posts
Echlin w/chokes has been a proven winner with CCT to prove it.

Purple has been the “currently available” best out-of-the-box with no chokes. Just plug & play.

Original Black continues to be my personal choice with CCT to support it.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Thanks ArcticDriver. I thought about using an original black, but when my original one had failed it shut down hard. There was no missing a few times and refiring on its own, it was like the key got pulled. And it wouldn't restart until changed. I'd hate to be on some shelf road on my way up or down from a repeater site or out hunting somewhere and have that happen. Even with spare in the glove box that's no bueno.

·
Premium Member
3,805 Posts
Thanks ArcticDriver. I thought about using an original black, but when my original one had failed it shut down hard. There was no missing a few times and refiring on its own, it was like the key got pulled. And it wouldn't restart until changed. I'd hate to be on some shelf road on my way up or down from a repeater site or out hunting somewhere and have that happen. Even with spare in the glove box that's no bueno.
I hear ya but isn’t that a risk with any CPS?

You need to get a ZF6. When it dies suddenly then you stop... 😉

·
Registered
351 Posts
In theory yes, but part of what prompted the recall on the Fords as I recall was that when it went it would go out in style. No hiccup with a little miss while at running RPMs but a flat shutdown. The replacement CPS's as I understand will do a hiccup and miss but generally still run.

·
Premium Member
3,805 Posts
In theory yes, but part of what prompted the recall on the Fords as I recall was that when it went it would go out in style. No hiccup with a little miss while at running RPMs but a flat shutdown. The replacement CPS's as I understand will do a hiccup and miss but generally still run.
I wonder how they accomplish this?

A change in the very simple circuit board?

21 - 29 of 29 Posts