The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sea Foam | How to Use Sea Foam Motor Treatment

If you read here under cleaning and lubricating diesel fuel injectors it says to change the filter, soak up all the diesel and fill the filter housing with Sea Foam. Then close the filter housing up and start the truck. Anyone try this on their 7.3?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
25,337 Posts
I did once.

I think that unless you're having issues with your injectors, it probably won't do much good. I didn't really notice anything in the way of improvement.

But it's relatively cheap, and can't hurt. :shrug03:

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
If I am having an injector problem, I take them out and have them tested if it has been a while. If not, a CCT will suffice. When they are out, I will have them cleaned should I have say 100K. I tend not to believe those snake oil cleaner in a can stuff.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yeah I'm not really having any injector problems I'm aware of. (No codes) I just thought it might be one of those things you didn't notice until you did something about it. I added some sea foam to the engine oil and it made a big difference. Its running and idling smoother and felt a little less sluggish. Even one of my gear head buddies noticed it riding passenger.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Yeah I'm not really having any injector problems I'm aware of. (No codes) I just thought it might be one of those things you didn't notice until you did something about it. I added some sea foam to the engine oil and it made a big difference. Its running and idling smoother and felt a little less sluggish. Even one of my gear head buddies noticed it riding passenger.
It is one of those things. I wouldn't add anything to the oil. It could screw up your injectors. Yes, I know it sounds good now but several people have noted that the car sounds really good till..... BOOM!

·
Super Moderator
25,337 Posts
It is one of those things. I wouldn't add anything to the oil. It could screw up your injectors. Yes, I know it sounds good now but several people have noted that the car sounds really good till..... BOOM!
I totally agree. Adding it to fuel is one thing, but basically dumping fuel (even if it's just a pint) into the crankcase is just nuts. It reduces the viscosity which is the point of having oil in the first place.

BTW, I should have emphasized the ONCE, in my first post about using seafoam in the fuel filter.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right on. I didn't feel comfortable leaving it in the oil for too long. I'm only 100 miles from an oil change which is why I put it in. Thought it might be a good way to loosen things up and get them to come out with the oil change. I think I'll try the Sea foam with the injectors since its needs a fuel filter anyways.

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
I know I am NOT running a PSD, but I have filled my filter with SeaFoam and it cleared up a sticky cold advance solenoid in my IP. I too wouldn't add anything to the oil, but I believe it does have some cleansing properties in the fuel system.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Right on. I didn't feel comfortable leaving it in the oil for too long. I'm only 100 miles from an oil change which is why I put it in. Thought it might be a good way to loosen things up and get them to come out with the oil change. I think I'll try the Sea foam with the injectors since its needs a fuel filter anyways.
I wouldn't put it in the oil unless you were buying me a new engine with injectors and HPOP. 1 mile is too long, IMO. I have no idea what it is doing there. If you want to clean the injectors, do it properly and have it removed, tested and cleaned. Otherwise, this is pretty much like sweeping in the dark. Sure, you have a pile of dirt but you don't know how much was really cleaned.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I put sea foam in the crankcase of a perfectly good honda 250 recon atv one time, it started smoking a day later. I thought it was smoking because I'd also put it in the gas. About a month later kaboom, no more recon :(. I loved that fourwheeler too. Had always been well taken care of. I blame it 100% on the sea foam.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
I put sea foam in the crankcase of a perfectly good honda 250 recon atv one time, it started smoking a day later. I thought it was smoking because I'd also put it in the gas. About a month later kaboom, no more recon :(. I loved that fourwheeler too. Had always been well taken care of. I blame it 100% on the sea foam.
Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not but the Honda 250 Recon Atv DOES NOT have a HUEI system.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jeez thats bad. It is recommended for use in the crankcase oil from the people at Sea Foam. That's pretty crappy of them if it causes problems.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Jeez thats bad. It is recommended for use in the crankcase oil from the people at Sea Foam. That's pretty crappy of them if it causes problems.
Extenze and Enzyte work too, according to the companies. Ask "Smilin Bob" about Enzyte. Should make your Johnson bigger too. Lots of "testimonials". At the bottom of the screen in VERY small, hardly legible letters is a statement that tells you it has not been evaluated by the FDA. Snake oil manufacturers claim all kinds of things and pay for a few "testimonials". Why? Because it is cheaper than PROOF. Besides, a proper test might simply prove it doesn't work. Look at what they did with Rev X. They gave it away to get testimonials. Wanna bet that there is no real science behind it?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Extenze and Enzyte work too, according to the companies. Ask "Smilin Bob" about Enzyte. Should make your Johnson bigger too. Lots of "testimonials". At the bottom of the screen in VERY small, hardly legible letters is a statement that tells you it has not been evaluated by the FDA. Snake oil manufacturers claim all kinds of things and pay for a few "testimonials". Why? Because it is cheaper than PROOF. Besides, a proper test might simply prove it doesn't work. Look at what they did with Rev X. They gave it away to get testimonials. Wanna bet that there is no real science behind it?
Well I agree. If you read all the stuff on the back of the bottle its sounds like a magical elixer that can fix anything wrong with your engine... It honestly sounds too good to be true. Needless to say i'm going to change the oil this weekend. Its not going to be driven until then.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not but the Honda 250 Recon Atv DOES NOT have a HUEI system.
Lol, I don't even know what you're talking about. I wasn't being sarcastic. I put sea foam in the oil, about a month later it blew the motor. Started smoking right after the sea foam. Very possible I overdosed it though. I didn't measure it out very well.

Maybe it threw you off where I said I put it in the gas. I put it in the gas tank myself. While putting in the gas tank, I read on the bottle how it'd be great in the crankcase too. So, I add a little to the oil. The rest is history. 4 years and 600$ later the motor is rebuilt, but now the clutch in the tranny is bad, I guess from sitting still so long and drying out, then finally getting driven for the first time this past weekend.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Lol, I don't even know what you're talking about. I wasn't being sarcastic. I put sea foam in the oil, about a month later it blew the motor. Started smoking right after the sea foam. Very possible I overdosed it though. I didn't measure it out very well.

Maybe it threw you off where I said I put it in the gas. I put it in the gas tank myself. While putting in the gas tank, I read on the bottle how it'd be great in the crankcase too. So, I add a little to the oil. The rest is history. 4 years and 600$ later the motor is rebuilt, but now the clutch in the tranny is bad, I guess from sitting still so long and drying out, then finally getting driven for the first time this past weekend.
With the HEUI system, oil is being used to pressurize fuel. So, if might not be a good thing to screw with the oil. Even when the oil is old, it doesn't work right so oil is CRITICAL in this system.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Oh, gotcha, like in a PSD. I did know oil is very important in my truck-nothin' but rotellaT and no additives for me:thumbsup:. Didn't go too swell for the recon either though. I probably just diluted it way too much, but I'll still never add any to oil again.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
With the HEUI system, oil is being used to pressurize fuel. So, if might not be a good thing to screw with the oil. Even when the oil is old, it doesn't work right so oil is CRITICAL in this system.
I've known that oil is used to pressurize the fuel in the PSD, but is there anywhere that explains in more detail how that system works? I'm just curious as I've never seen the innards of a diesel.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
It worked for me to clean up the injectors a little. I used a can of Sea Foam cleaner in the fuel filter housing and one in the tank. But, I still get what seems like it's missing when I'm in park and I rev it to about 2000-2500, it's still missing. Even when I'm driving, it seems like it's just not firing on all cyl. Exactly like a gasser that needs a tuneup. I've changed the fuel filter too, after running a can of cleaner through the fuel tank. Like I said, it's much better than it was, but I think that I need to get the injectors serviced. I have about 200k+ miles and have never had any work done to the injectors.

Thanks,

Chris

1 - 20 of 35 Posts