The Diesel Stop banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
I would say that after 100K or maybe even 150K, injectors should be tested since you won't know what the state of the injectors is.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I would say that after 100K or maybe even 150K, injectors should be tested since you won't know what the state of the injectors is.
How labor intensive/expensive is it to test your injectors? I'm assuming you have to remove them?

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
How labor intensive/expensive is it to test your injectors? I'm assuming you have to remove them?
Not too bad. I would have it removed at the local diesel shop that can do testing or have it sent out if I did it in my driveway like I do with my other cars.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #25

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Interesting Video... Thanks for posting that. I don't understand why in practice the upper and lower oil doesn't mix... Or is it the upper areas gets filled with deposits over time and won't flush out with the regular oil?
I can't think of a good reason but I would think that unless you make a practice of leaving the oil there for inordinate amounts of time, there shouldn't be that much deposits to worry us.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I can't think of a good reason but I would think that unless you make a practice of leaving the oil there for inordinate amounts of time, there shouldn't be that much deposits to worry us.
I've been pretty good about changing the oil. I've only gone 6000 miles at most without a change. I think I might pull a quart out of there when I do the oil change just to see what it looks like. If it looks like the black syrup in his video I'll do it a couple more times.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
I've been pretty good about changing the oil. I've only gone 6000 miles at most without a change. I think I might pull a quart out of there when I do the oil change just to see what it looks like. If it looks like the black syrup in his video I'll do it a couple more times.
If the engine is cold it might make the oil look bad. Assuming you have 14-15 quarts, I am not sure how the quart in the HPOP Reservoir will make that much of a difference.

http://www.aeswave.com/images/Products/atg-20sample73.pdf

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
If the engine is cold it might make the oil look bad. Assuming you have 14-15 quarts, I am not sure how the quart in the HPOP Reservoir will make that much of a difference.

http://www.aeswave.com/images/Products/atg-20sample73.pdf
Sweet Link. Do you have the rest of that manual? I guess the question is does crud build up in that Reservoir or is it flushed with enough flow to remove contaminants?

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Sweet Link. Do you have the rest of that manual? I guess the question is does crud build up in that Reservoir or is it flushed with enough flow to remove contaminants?
I suppose if you feel that strongly about it, you could run the truck so that things get stirred around and drain the oil. After that, remove the top off the HPOP Reservoir and see.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Interesting Video... Thanks for posting that. I don't understand why in practice the upper and lower oil doesn't mix... Or is it the upper areas gets filled with deposits over time and won't flush out with the regular oil?
Ya, you're welcome. I'm going to drain it on mine and put new oil in like he suggests. I'm curious to see how it works and from what I've seen on his site, it looks like the guy knows what he's talking about.

Chris

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I warmed the truck up and came back to the house. I flushed the HPOP resivior like the video showed. Each time the oil was easier and easier to pump out. The first quart(almost) that came out was super thick and nasty. I did it three more times after that. I went out and drove the truck again. It was running noticably smoother and stronger. I was able to get up to 20lbs of boost again instead of topping out at about 18. I then replaced the filter and filled the fuel bowl with sea foam. Truck started right up on it and didn't even blow white smoke. I drove it around for about 20 minutes. It honestly hasn't been running this good in years.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I warmed the truck up and came back to the house. I flushed the HPOP resivior like the video showed. Each time the oil was easier and easier to pump out. The first quart(almost) that came out was super thick and nasty. I did it three more times after that. I went out and drove the truck again. It was running noticably smoother and stronger. I was able to get up to 20lbs of boost again instead of topping out at about 18. I then replaced the filter and filled the fuel bowl with sea foam. Truck started right up on it and didn't even blow white smoke. I drove it around for about 20 minutes. It honestly hasn't been running this good in years.
There are alot of people that don't believe that you should bother with the reservoir flush. I bought my truck brand new and changed the oil at or before it needed it (Delo). I was shocked when I did mine at about 70k. I couldn't believe how dark, thick and nasty the oil was that was in the reservoir and I had about 200 miles on an oil change. The oil on the dipstick still looked new, the stuff that came out of the reservoir looked horrible, and flowed worse. My truck ran and does run much smoother/quieter now. I change out the reservoir oil with oil changes.

Jack

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sea Foam | How to Use Sea Foam Motor Treatment

If you read here under cleaning and lubricating diesel fuel injectors it says to change the filter, soak up all the diesel and fill the filter housing with Sea Foam. Then close the filter housing up and start the truck. Anyone try this on their 7.3?

I did the other day. Bought 3.7 litres of seafoam. Filled up fuel filter housing, crank case 15 ounces, and threw the rest in the tank. Hot soaked for 45 min than took it out and ran it hard for 1hr. Didn't smoke at all. Maybe cleaned a bit I didn't notice much of a difference in performance.
Thanks
[]

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just reading up here, I wouldn't put SeaFoam in my 7.3l's oil, but in older gas motors, it can breakdown deposits and you do it right before oil change. I plan to run some Anti stiction eliminator from Hot Shot's. It is designed for HEUI systems and I have heard good things. I am swapping my 374k mile ancient injectors on my 96 with some 140k injectors I got a deal on and I plan to run some of this stuff to kinda, rejuvenate them. I am tempted to run a can of SeaFoam in the fuel filter once tho, just to hit both side of the injector with some cleaning. Fresh seals of course :D

I much prefer to use stuff designed for my system then some one size fits all gas and diesel oil treatment, especially on the oil side of my HEUI system.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts