The Diesel Stop banner

Fill the Fuel filter up with Seafoam?

45K views 34 replies 9 participants last post by  Unit_108 
#1 ·
Sea Foam | How to Use Sea Foam Motor Treatment

If you read here under cleaning and lubricating diesel fuel injectors it says to change the filter, soak up all the diesel and fill the filter housing with Sea Foam. Then close the filter housing up and start the truck. Anyone try this on their 7.3?

Thanks

#2 ·
I did once.

I think that unless you're having issues with your injectors, it probably won't do much good. I didn't really notice anything in the way of improvement.

But it's relatively cheap, and can't hurt. :shrug03:

#3 ·
If I am having an injector problem, I take them out and have them tested if it has been a while. If not, a CCT will suffice. When they are out, I will have them cleaned should I have say 100K. I tend not to believe those snake oil cleaner in a can stuff.

#4 · (Edited)
Yeah I'm not really having any injector problems I'm aware of. (No codes) I just thought it might be one of those things you didn't notice until you did something about it. I added some sea foam to the engine oil and it made a big difference. Its running and idling smoother and felt a little less sluggish. Even one of my gear head buddies noticed it riding passenger.

#5 ·
It is one of those things. I wouldn't add anything to the oil. It could screw up your injectors. Yes, I know it sounds good now but several people have noted that the car sounds really good till..... BOOM!

#7 ·
Right on. I didn't feel comfortable leaving it in the oil for too long. I'm only 100 miles from an oil change which is why I put it in. Thought it might be a good way to loosen things up and get them to come out with the oil change. I think I'll try the Sea foam with the injectors since its needs a fuel filter anyways.

#9 ·
I wouldn't put it in the oil unless you were buying me a new engine with injectors and HPOP. 1 mile is too long, IMO. I have no idea what it is doing there. If you want to clean the injectors, do it properly and have it removed, tested and cleaned. Otherwise, this is pretty much like sweeping in the dark. Sure, you have a pile of dirt but you don't know how much was really cleaned.

#8 ·
I know I am NOT running a PSD, but I have filled my filter with SeaFoam and it cleared up a sticky cold advance solenoid in my IP. I too wouldn't add anything to the oil, but I believe it does have some cleansing properties in the fuel system.

#10 ·
I put sea foam in the crankcase of a perfectly good honda 250 recon atv one time, it started smoking a day later. I thought it was smoking because I'd also put it in the gas. About a month later kaboom, no more recon :(. I loved that fourwheeler too. Had always been well taken care of. I blame it 100% on the sea foam.

#11 ·
Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not but the Honda 250 Recon Atv DOES NOT have a HUEI system.

#17 ·
Oh, gotcha, like in a PSD. I did know oil is very important in my truck-nothin' but rotellaT and no additives for me:thumbsup:. Didn't go too swell for the recon either though. I probably just diluted it way too much, but I'll still never add any to oil again.

#20 ·
It worked for me to clean up the injectors a little. I used a can of Sea Foam cleaner in the fuel filter housing and one in the tank. But, I still get what seems like it's missing when I'm in park and I rev it to about 2000-2500, it's still missing. Even when I'm driving, it seems like it's just not firing on all cyl. Exactly like a gasser that needs a tuneup. I've changed the fuel filter too, after running a can of cleaner through the fuel tank. Like I said, it's much better than it was, but I think that I need to get the injectors serviced. I have about 200k+ miles and have never had any work done to the injectors.

Thanks,

Chris

#21 ·
I would say that after 100K or maybe even 150K, injectors should be tested since you won't know what the state of the injectors is.

#25 ·
#32 ·
I warmed the truck up and came back to the house. I flushed the HPOP resivior like the video showed. Each time the oil was easier and easier to pump out. The first quart(almost) that came out was super thick and nasty. I did it three more times after that. I went out and drove the truck again. It was running noticably smoother and stronger. I was able to get up to 20lbs of boost again instead of topping out at about 18. I then replaced the filter and filled the fuel bowl with sea foam. Truck started right up on it and didn't even blow white smoke. I drove it around for about 20 minutes. It honestly hasn't been running this good in years.

#33 ·
There are alot of people that don't believe that you should bother with the reservoir flush. I bought my truck brand new and changed the oil at or before it needed it (Delo). I was shocked when I did mine at about 70k. I couldn't believe how dark, thick and nasty the oil was that was in the reservoir and I had about 200 miles on an oil change. The oil on the dipstick still looked new, the stuff that came out of the reservoir looked horrible, and flowed worse. My truck ran and does run much smoother/quieter now. I change out the reservoir oil with oil changes.

Jack

#34 ·
Sea Foam | How to Use Sea Foam Motor Treatment

If you read here under cleaning and lubricating diesel fuel injectors it says to change the filter, soak up all the diesel and fill the filter housing with Sea Foam. Then close the filter housing up and start the truck. Anyone try this on their 7.3?

I did the other day. Bought 3.7 litres of seafoam. Filled up fuel filter housing, crank case 15 ounces, and threw the rest in the tank. Hot soaked for 45 min than took it out and ran it hard for 1hr. Didn't smoke at all. Maybe cleaned a bit I didn't notice much of a difference in performance.
Thanks
[]

#35 ·
Just reading up here, I wouldn't put SeaFoam in my 7.3l's oil, but in older gas motors, it can breakdown deposits and you do it right before oil change. I plan to run some Anti stiction eliminator from Hot Shot's. It is designed for HEUI systems and I have heard good things. I am swapping my 374k mile ancient injectors on my 96 with some 140k injectors I got a deal on and I plan to run some of this stuff to kinda, rejuvenate them. I am tempted to run a can of SeaFoam in the fuel filter once tho, just to hit both side of the injector with some cleaning. Fresh seals of course :D

I much prefer to use stuff designed for my system then some one size fits all gas and diesel oil treatment, especially on the oil side of my HEUI system.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.