The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok since I had such great replies about fuel filters.
Just got a reading on the dash "DEF is less than half full" (or words to effect. I purchased the fluid and the filler funnel/hose. Put in the complete container 2.5 gals. Went to information screen about Exhaust fluid hit the "OK" button ,Nothing happen. I had planned a short trip 50 miles so I took off leaving the screen in place at approx 35miles the message changed back to normal? Does this sound correct?

Thanks again
RGVal

·
Registered
771 Posts
By "back to normal", do you mean it shows the DEF fluid level as OK? If so, yes. You can get another jug and try and top it off, and it won't change anything on the screen, but you will be good for a while.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Ed...KF5INW
Did as yiu said took maybe 1 gal. but now I have a stating point to see how long it lasts

·
Registered
223 Posts
This is normal. The truck takes a little while to register that you filled the DEF.
You need to go buy the DEF filler hose from the dealer. It locks into the DEF hole and helps yo keep from spilling DEF all over the truck. It also stoppes you from overfilling the tank and thus spilling all over the trucki. They fit the Blue DEF boxes.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
Best practice for 2011-2016 Super Duty trucks is to always fill the tank completely so be prepared to do so any time you need to add DEF.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Another thing i found with my 15 F250. Wait till the message center says 500 miles till limp mode. It will or may take a couple key cycles for the message to go away. I was in panic mode when this happened the first time. I was going to the dealer and the message just went away. Now I don't worry. Mine also didn't need 2 full boxes ether. As a matter of fact when I check the info screen says I am below 1/2 tank so I would buy a box and guess what. It wouldn't take the whole box. Thats the reason I now wait till the tank is empty.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I have recently started using the DEF nozzles at truck stops to completely fill my tank. Not only does this fill the tank to the top with no guesswork, but it’s a lot less expensive than the jugs. Note: Do not try to add any more DEF after the nozzle clicks off. I got a “check engine” light & a code (I don’t remember the code) because the tank was overfilled. This cleared on its own, but I won’t be overfilling again. I wonder why this happened when using a truck stop DEF pump & it never happened when using the jugs.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
I have recently started using the DEF nozzles at truck stops to completely fill my tank. Not only does this fill the tank to the top with no guesswork, but it’s a lot less expensive than the jugs. Note: Do not try to add any more DEF after the nozzle clicks off. I got a “check engine” light & a code (I don’t remember the code) because the tank was overfilled. This cleared on its own, but I won’t be overfilling again. I wonder why this happened when using a truck stop DEF pump & it never happened when using the jugs.
You won't get a code for overfilling the DEF tank because there is no code for that. It would be nice to know what the code was that was set in the PCM for an accurate definition/explanation.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am not familiar with this Def nozzle you speak of. Is it like pumping gas but only Def instead. So at the pump there would be gas, diesel, and Def?

·
Registered
771 Posts
I am not familiar with this Def nozzle you speak of. Is it like pumping gas but only Def instead. So at the pump there would be gas, diesel, and Def?
Sort of. The DEF nozzles are usually only at the big truck filling islands. They would not be where the gas pumps are. I think this may change (and may already be) as DEF is so prevalent now. But for now, yes, you would have the diesel nozzle on one side of the pump, and a DEF nozzle on the other.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
DEF can freeze, so in colder climes, the DEF nozzle is usually in a cabinet next to the pump that is heated, so it isn't apparent that there is one from a quick glance, you have to look at the buttons on the pump to know for sure that it has DEF.

Skip ahead to the 2 minute mark to see what I am referring to

Oh and DON'T do what they did when filling. CAP the Diesel filler when adding DEF!!!

·
Registered
638 Posts
I've never looked for DEF at the pump. I have Love's and TA not far away. Will they carry it? How much do they charge for it?

Tom

·
Registered
771 Posts
They should both carry it, probably at the truck pumps. No idea on the price, but it will likely be much cheaper than the jugs at Wal-Mart.

·
Registered
223 Posts
For no more than you need to buy it's not that expensive to get it at Walmart. You will not have to fill the DEF everytime you fuel up. Also the nozzles are nasty looking. No way do I want that stuff in my DEF tank.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts