The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started buying parts back in like september, and I've FINALLY got almost everything in.

Finally took some pics of my "work in progress" now that its almost done.

http://www.forgotton.net/diesel/air/index.htm

That takes you to my webpage and has pics of my onboard air system, new dash switches, and digital pressure gauge.

Keep in mind the MESS you see is because Im not done. I still need to install the air valves for the firestone ride-rides, and wire them to the switches and the digital gauge, but you get the idea what its going to look like.

The air compressor and air horns have manual cut-offs on the left side of the steering wheel. (the two little micro toggles). The air horns are triggered by the factory horn button. The cutout switch allows me to use JUST the regular horn.

All wires either are, or will be wire loomed, zip tied, heat shrinked. Interior connectors are either crimp on, or AMP connectors, and all exterior connections are waterproof GM style connectors.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Wow! You got the compressor under the hood. I'm impressed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif I like the gauge install too. I guess we could expect nothing less from you though. You're gonna love having a real horn. So when you hit the door lock twice or panic button on the key fob, the horns will sound? You could have some fun with that from a distance for anyone gawking at your ride. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

·
Registered
8,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
[ QUOTE ]
Wow! You got the compressor under the hood. I'm impressed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif I like the gauge install too. I guess we could expect nothing less from you though. You're gonna love having a real horn. So when you hit the door lock twice or panic button on the key fob, the horns will sound? You could have some fun with that from a distance for anyone gawking at your ride. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont like the AC blowing on me because it dries out my contacts, and my AC is ICE cold, so the other 3 vents still chill the truck just fine.

Yes, because of the way I wired it, if there is air pressure in the tank, then hitting the lock button or the panic button will chirp the air. The lock button barely gets a chirp, but the panic button, OH YEAH! I did install a cutout switch on the dash to remove the air horns from the regular horn circuit, but I doubt that will get used much /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

The compressor was really not that bad a squeeze. I had to remove the Daytime running lights module off the header panel, and give my tymar filter just the slightest ding to make the compressor filter fit, But I think Im going to change that and run the compressor filter into the cab, so then it wont matter.

·
Registered
471 Posts
[ QUOTE ]

Finally took some pics of my "work in progress" now that its almost done.

http://www.forgotton.net/diesel/air/index.htm

[/ QUOTE ]

Great job! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif Looking at one of the pictures though, I noticed you coolant is alittle low /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/phoney.gif What's with that ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif lol...

·
Registered
8,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
[ QUOTE ]
Great job! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif Looking at one of the pictures though, I noticed you coolant is alittle low /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/phoney.gif What's with that ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif lol...

[/ QUOTE ]

Changed the coolant filter, and didnt have any distilled water to top it back up with. The way the degas bottle is tapered, it would only take about 2-cups of water to bring it back to the correct level. Hardly worth making a trip to the store over. Its never moved, so pretty sure its not a leak or anything. Its always at whatever level I last saw it at.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Nice install!

The 550 fits there nicely with an AFE Stage 2 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Matt

·
Registered
8,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
[ QUOTE ]
Nice install!

The 550 fits there nicely with an AFE Stage 2 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Matt

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but those optimas arent exactly cheap. Gotta pinch pennies where I can. I dont think the stage-2 is worth the extra $$ over the tymar. The optimas arent really worth the extra money over stock batteries, but I didnt have any other options available to me.

Without the little filter on the compressor, its a very nice fit. Im going to remove it and run a line into the cab or something so that I know Im getting clean/dry air. Im using the "factory" filter for now because I wanted it up and running. I have more room towards the front of the truck, but then the feet dont fit onto the stock battery tray as well. I had to grind that battery tray up pretty bad to make it fit. NOT PRETTY, but I just dont have the metal fab tools I need to do it right. I'll clean it up when I get home.

57 more days!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Daryl,
REALLY nice job, I am humbled.

The digital gauge is very nice, will it/ can it read left/right instead of front/rear ??
Thanks,
garyT

·
Registered
8,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
[ QUOTE ]
Daryl,
The digital gauge is very nice, will it/ can it read left/right instead of front/rear ??
Thanks,
garyT

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, Its a Dakota Digital 4-way pressure gauge. It can be set up to read up to four seperate pressures, PLUS tank pressure. Can display all 5 pressures at once.

By default, with nothing wired, it displays front/rear, however, once I finish the wiring and hook up the two pressure sensors for the rear airbags, it will display left right instead. You can also set "alarm points" that flash the display if pressure gets too high or too low on any port including the tank. It has a relay output to trigger an audible or other alarm too. Finally, it has a dimmer function to lower the brightness (aka the overhead console computer) when you turn on your parkinglights.

The best part is, NO EXTRA AIR LINES! The dakota digital uses electric oil pressure senders that just screw into NPT ports. So I used "T" fittings to allow me to break into various lines and take pressure readings. Instead of running pressure tubing into the cab (that sucks in my opinion), I just run a single wire. Just make sure you ground out the "T" fitting the sensor plugs into.

Parts list includes (but is not limited too):

1- Viair 550c electric compressor. 12v, 30amp, 3cfm, 100% duty cycle.
1- 5-gallon air tank w/ 8 1/2" ports
1- Set of Firestone Ride-Rite 2330 airbags
4- 1/4" electric air valves. Controls left/right up/down on the airbags.
1- 3/8" electric air valve. Controls airhorns.
5- 150psi electric sending units
1- 110-on, 130-off pressure switch
2- Contura-II DPDT momentary rocker switches, modified with blue LEDs
30- feet of 1/4" plastic airline
30- feet of 3/8" plastic airline
Handfuls- of various fittings, reducers, couplers, etc etc.
400- feet of different colored wire, 18ga.
Misc- Relays, connectors, zip ties, shrink tubing, wire loom, solder, switches, etc...

If you dont like the SQUARE dakota digital pressure gauge, they sell a ROUND one also, but I think I went with the right style for my application.

·
Registered
308 Posts
That's some really nice looking equipment.

Sometimes I consider upgrading to a really loud horn set, usually when some no-driving fool causes me to panic-brake this 8,000# truck. That happened to me again yesterday. A couple more occurrences like that and my next upgrade is a compressor and loud horns.

David

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Beautiful job!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif How much would you say you had in parts? That is one great mod... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif

·
Registered
73 Posts
where did you get the 1/4" valves for your air bags?

·
Registered
8,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
around 200 shipped for the 550c compressor, about 35 bucks for the tank, airhorns were free, the 1/4" airvalves were like 20 bucks a piece, and the 3/8's was about 25 or 30. Paid 200 for the airbags, like 250 for the pressure gauge and 5 sending units, 100 bucks for all the new switches (there are three more switches not in those pics).

I got the 1/4" airvalves from www.rocketvalves.com .
The 3/8's valve and digital air pressure gauge came from www.innovativeairsuspension.com .
The compressor came from www.ebay.com .
The airbags came from www.boyercustomtrucks.com .
The switches came from Shane Linse [email protected] .
The airlines and some of the fittings came from www.groverairhorns.com .
The airhorns came from MudHog, and he got them off ebay.

I could have done it ALOT cheaper, but cheaper doesnt always have as much cool factor. And the way I spread it out over 6 months, it doesnt hurt the pocket book as much either.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts